BSoD 124: No overclocks?

Soldato
Hey all! Running an i5-3570k, Z77-D3H and Samsung Green RAM (8Gb). While running a particularly demanding route in (ahem) Train Simulator 2013, I regularly get a BSoD, 0x000000124 to be precise. From looking about, this could be due to low memory or CPU voltage. Going to try some more games tomorrow, but just so I know, the voltage is set in BIOS isn't it?

Caporegime
is sam green stock or oc?

whether cpu is stock or overclocked id still manually set these

cpu/pcie clock to 100
vcore voltage response to fast
pwm phase control to extreme

and set dram v to 1.55v

cpu v should be fine on auto if at stock

you also might need to flash to the latest motherboard bios first,to do that you need to download and extract the bios to a usb memory stick,plug it in and press end at gigabyte splash screen to enter qflash and update the bios

bios's can be downloaded from gigabytes website

Soldato
OP
Everything is stock, not touched a thing with regards to overclocks. The only thing that is overclocked is my BFG GTX275 OC, but that was like that from factory.

Will take a look at those values and update BIOS in the morning.

Soldato
OP
Wazza, I've just flashed my BIOS with the version you provided, and now my keyboard won't work on startup, preventing me from accessing BIOS again. The keyboard is plugged directly into the motherboard USB ports.

Any ideas?

Checked on Gigabytes site and they don't actually list a beta F19h, just a beta F19g

EDIT: Just found @BIOS.

Last edited:
Caporegime
By the sound of 124 is a bit of a generic hardware error so it might be worth trying the GPU at reference GTX275 speeds, vendor overclocks are not always completely stable.

Soldato
OP
Run into major problems guys. Reset the CMOS as I read that that can cure the BIOS not reading any keyboard input, but now whenever I start up my PC, I get the 'BIOS has been reset' message, with options of how I want to contiue. Unfortunately the CMOS reset hasn't cured the lack of keyboard input, and I've tried the keyboard in every USB port I have.

Where do I go from here? I can't enter BIOS setup, I can't chose an option for the 'BIOS has been reset' screen. USB mouse isn't working either.

Both are Logitech products (G110 and G500), both worked absolutely fine on the stock BIOS (which came on the mobo from factory). I have the old BIOS saved on a USB, but I won't be able to select the Q-Flash menu to flash that onto the mobo :(

Help!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, quick update on this.

Using the latest non-beta BIOS (F18 - beta ones don't like my keyboard and mouse), I used the above settings (post #2), but it's still doing it I'm afraid, most especially on Tomb Raider (did it 4 times last night). Do I wind the DRAM V down to 1.35? It was on Auto before. (Also I can't get 1.55 exactly, it's either 1.54 or 1.56). Ran Memtest86 three times before messing about with voltages etc and that never reported any problems.

I'm also wondering if my aging GTX275 is to blame, could the Z77 mobo, RAM or 3570k be reacting to the older piece of hardware? It has a factory overclock on it too. What would the reference speed be for a GTX275?

It seems to do it if there's a lot of pressure on the graphics. It's BSoD'ed 4-5 times for a very detailed Train Simulator 2013 route (lots of assets etc to draw), once for a very heavy Minecraft map, and now 4 times for Tomb Raider (all in the space of 5-6 hours yesterday).

Last edited:
Associate
I'd say lower the overclock on the card for sure if you haven't. Just bring the core clock 10mhz to start with using your favorite graphics card tweaker and see if you still get crashes. If you do, bring down the memory 10mhz. Then move on down testing until you get no errors, or reach silly low clocks... cause it might be dead!

Soldato
OP
I've also been playing a LOT of Battlefield 3 recently, but I've had no BSoDs with that; I would have thought that it would be even more demanding than the above games.

Yeah, I'll mess about with the GPU clock then, see what happens.

Soldato
OP
Update to this.

After a completely fresh re-install of Windows and replacing the 275 with a 670, I've just got another BSoD 124 tonight.

Tearing my hair out here, what could it be? PSU? My new Samsung Green RAM? I had already raised the RAM voltage before.

Caporegime
It's CPU voltage 124 error in sb/ib

Use around 1.55v dram and try one level higher llc and/or set CPU v to normal and add +0.005 or +0.010v dvid

Could try 1.08v CPU/vtt aswell,manually set bclk to 100 then see if it helps

Soldato
OP
IIRC, I'm already on 1.55v dram. Will look at all the other settings, I remember changing some others before per your earlier suggestions. Trouble is, the problem isn't completely replicable, so I'm not sure when I'll be replying back with news.

Soldato
OP
Right, DRAM was already on 1.54, it goes up in 2s so to be certain I set it to 1.56v. Next to it was an unchanging value of 1.50, I assume this is just the default?

No clue what LLC was, nor did I see anything that was similar, apart from PLL? So I went for the other option and changed CPU v to Normal rather than Auto, and added 0.010v to the DVID. I set VTT to 1.08v from Auto as well, and the Base clock was already at 100mhz.

Just have to see how it goes! By the way, I have no idea what any of this is or how it affects the PC (It seems to have changed quite a bit from the 775 days); I'm just doing what you suggest! :p

Soldato
OP
It's just done it again :(

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80077F2028
BCP3: 00000000FE200000