WARNING: Nice laptop, shame about the w8 build :{

Associate
Has anybody else bought the MSI GT70 2OC-281UK 17.3" True HD LED, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 770M 3GB, DVD-RW - Windows 8 Laptop?
Just a warning that u may have to spend several days on google etc and waiting for your laptop to "sort itself out" b4 u can use it!
If u are not reasonably competent with fairly in depth computer diagnostics and repair, you may end up rma'ing one of these as startup and closedown times in the region of hours may be a little alarming.
Now I have the damn thing running it's very impressive but what a bloody mess MSI w8 builds are.

IMPORTANT: The MSI website is a nightmare of incorrect information. DO NOT download the MSI Live Update software as it destroys your machine. Sometimes there is a warning against this option for laptop users but not always as i found out to my cost.

Associate
What do you mean by "sort itself out" exactly?

I bought an MSI GE40 last month and I cant say I've had any issues with this MSI Windows8 build compared with other manufacturers and their bloatware?

Associate
OP
The laptop was taking hours to shutdown and boot up and errors cropping up all over the place especially from some of the preinstalled MSI utilities. The main culprit appears to have been a combination of windows 8 removing language packs which were not even showing as installed and MSI's own "Live Update" software. I spent many, many hours looking through forums and eventually got things going but it was no fun at all. Just wondered whether anybody else had these problems seeing as OC had them on special last week so probably sold a few.
I also wanted to warn ppl not to use Live Update!

Back
Top Bottom