Scythe Mugen 2 rev b not compatible with Asus z170 pro gaming?

Associate
i just cant install it right and this cooler damaged "chicks" of my cpu(i5 6600k) as they are a little bit "melted". Screws dont want go all the way in at some points, even when i screwing them evenly, backplate of cooler just not connect with motherboard as it lays on some edgy mobo pins. Also saving screws in front not tightening, when i took it out they were almost loose.

I just lost huge amount of money and this cooler wasted it all.

Associate
OP
i was doing it twice watching vids, reading instructions and it doesnt want to fit all the way in at some spots, screws also are very hard to put into their sockets. Backplate just resting on mobo's pins and doesnt contact with motherboard well, damaging my CPU and bending motherboard.

Associate
It looks like that backplate has a rectangular cut-out, so yes it needs to be rotated 90 degrees to fit.

I had this with another cooler (Antec Kuhler H600) a little while back. When rotated to the correct orientation, the backplate rests on those pins on the left hand side of your picture. Tighting the cooler up caused the backplate to bend the mobo slightly and I was getting "new CPU fitted" messages on every boot. If I didn't tighten it up, I was getting a bad thermal contact on one side of the CPU.

That cooler is unfortunately now a spare for my X99 system (no backplate required), as I've tried fitting it to two Z97 boards with the same result (Z97X-SLI and Z97M-Plus).

Associate
No, it needs to rotate in either direction by a quarter of a turn.

If you rotate the cooler backplate by 90 degrees, the rectangular slot in the backplate will line up with the socket backplate. However, I think that will then cover the pins on the left side of your picture.

Associate
OP
but how i would fit that if i just rotate it quarter to the left? there is no screws slots there. I thought u mean reverse it(so its 180 degree)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Even if i would do that it still will rest on those pins and pins is what makes me not able to screw it all way in in all directions

Last edited:
Associate
OP
but it isnt as on the picture, and on the left there are even more pins so whats the point rotating it 90 degrees while it still wont make clean contact with motherboard?

Caporegime
Let me guess.

2 on the left and one in the centre on the right? these are the ends of the three screws that hold the actual socket retention mechanism to the PCB and screw into the metal plate that is under your heatsink backplate, I can assure you the big square cutout hole in the heatsink backplate will clear these three screws.

If you dont try then whats the point in giving you advice.

Associate
OP
but how its gonna fit when i rotate it 90 degree to the left? left side will "hover" on those 10 pins and right will rest on motherboard causing even bigger bend. I want clear touch to the motherboard.

Damn, i didnt knew coolers "lga 1151" ready arent "ready at all". You have to check in shop what pins your SPECYFIC motherboard have(it seems every board have different, no matter if they are same chip) and then look for a cooler with a backplate that can fit this motherboard by measuring lengt and distance of backplate... .

Caporegime
Hover on what?

The backplate will sit ontop of the metal plate already on the rear of the board.

The foam layer will prevent any electrical shorting caused by the metal backplate touching any surrounding solder points.

And the big square hole in this coolers backplate will clear the three (two at the top and one at the bottom) screws that are sticking through the metal plate already on the board.

Back
Top Bottom