Every game crashes to desktop

Associate
Hey guys, i have a problem which i can't seem to get to the bottom off. all the games i play crash to the desktop without an error message (siege, eso, etc). i started having this problem a couple of week ago with the ocassional crash once a day and now its happening everytime i play a game (around 15-20 mins in).

Reformatted and having the same problem, rolled back to previous drivers and getting same problem (used DDU). anyone got a clue as to what it might be? is it the 1080 drivers that are broken and causing it?

is it a memory problem?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I could check temps tonight i guess but i have a custom fan profile and it never goes above 78 degrees.

I will try the cards 1 by 1 to see if it is a faulty card as well

Associate
Hey guys, i have a problem which i can't seem to get to the bottom off. all the games i play crash to the desktop without an error message (siege, eso, etc). i started having this problem a couple of week ago with the ocassional crash once a day and now its happening everytime i play a game (around 15-20 mins in).

Reformatted and having the same problem, rolled back to previous drivers and getting same problem (used DDU). anyone got a clue as to what it might be? is it the 1080 drivers that are broken and causing it?

is it a memory problem?

Have you checked event viewer?

To me a game just stopping and no other crash/freeze/restart seems a bit weird and i would think it might be software based.
Usually if a card is at fault you get artefacts, PSU then then system will restart/shutdown etc

Also have you checked your SSD/HDD to see if its maybe the problem? Even secondary data drives can cause really annoying and hard to pinpoint windows problems so it might be worth a scan.

Associate
OP
I have got a feeling its the nvidia drivers conflicting with something, a couple of weeks back i was watching a movie and when ever i fast forwarded it would freeze and say display driver has crashed. but my games were running fine then.

Could be overheating actually since it has been boiling these past 2 days, so i will monitor temps as well

I will have a look at event viewer when i get another crash

Associate
OP
Tried just 1 gpu alone and gaming for 4 hours it didnt crash, this was with 100% fan speed and it was still hitting 72-74 degrees so it must have been overheating. now to try the other gpu

Soldato
Tried just 1 gpu alone and gaming for 4 hours it didnt crash, this was with 100% fan speed and it was still hitting 72-74 degrees so it must have been overheating. now to try the other gpu

When you gaming did you notice any performance drop off before it crashed? If it was overheating I would expect the video cards to have throttled to avoid overheating (my girlfriend says it's been 35c+ in the UK for the last few days which must have been casing GPU temps to skyrocket).

Associate
OP
Nah it doesn't blue screen it was just crashing to desktop, gpu 1 is fine after 5 hours of testing with 100% fan speed i will test gpu 2 tonight.

It is quite possible the cards were overheating, if one alone on 100% reaches 74 degrees (with side cover off) then two with a custom fan profile must have been boiling.

Another thing about these cards is that they can max out games like siege, bf4 and battlefront with just a single card for 100fps and witcher 3, da inquisition etc can maintain around 60fps so i might just stick to one for now till the 1080ti comes out and then upgrade

Associate
OP
Well that problem is back and it happens on all Gpu's. even tested my friends 980ti and downgraded to 365.10 drivers but i am getting the same problem. so that rules the graphics cards out.

Not sure what the problem is now :/. I can try and re-insert my ram i guess in case that is causing the problem

Associate
OP
Well it did end up been that ram, 2 days and no crashes after setting my ram from xmp to auto. Ive had bad luck with avexir ram will probably avoid them in the future

Associate
If you're overclocking your CPU I'd say avoid XMP in the future instead (not sticks that can XMP as almost all highish end ones support it, just don't turn it on), it's not a particularly helpful feature if you're willing to tweak any settings yourself and often causes problems.

Associate
Well it did end up been that ram, 2 days and no crashes after setting my ram from xmp to auto. Ive had bad luck with avexir ram will probably avoid them in the future

XMP has never worked for me, i have no idea if it ever works but i have had 3 sets of ram and every set has made my system unstable.

Associate
I had exactly the same issue with ESO but in my case it was my 980ti that was the issue. I replaced it with a FE 1080 which I've had since launch and it's not crashed once since.

Just goes to show that different components can cause what appears to be exactly the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom