New build turns itself on and off repeatedly

Soldato
Just bought hardware for an upgrade and it turns itself on and off repeatedly; the mobo lights come on and the CPU fan spins up for about a second, reboots and repeat.

I've taken everything out/back until it's just the CPU and mobo power connectors connected via another PSU and the same thing happens.

Is the mobo fried or is there something else I can try? It's a Gigabyte X99-SLI with an Intel Core i7 5820K.

Caporegime
Could you maybe have a dodgy case on/off switch.

I.e it's stuck on and thus powering the board off after 3secs after turning it ON.

Then it rinses and repeats this over and over.

Caporegime
Build it outside the case, check for any spare standoffs etc shorting the rear of the board.

Clear the CMOS (power off and pull the battery out for a bit)

Then try moving ram sticks around and try one at a time.

Then I guess it's time to check the cpu socket for bent pins

Associate
Sounds like you've got a DOA board or CPU. The board is the more likely of the two to be dead.

Hopefully the new board will fix the problem.

Soldato
OP
Right I'm pulling my hair out. I'd ordered a new motherboard, that didn't work, so I ordered a new CPU and that still doesn't work: exactly the same thing.

Disregarding the unlikely possibility that I've been unlucky and ordered two dead components, what on earth could it be?

I've built the system out of the case, nothing but mobo and CPU plugged in and mobo/CPU power from both the new and old (working) PSUs, again out the case. Even shorting the power on pin so literally nothing else plugged in.

I'd previously read of needing to flash the mobo BIOS but this didn't work the first time around.

Soldato
OP
You got a decent guide on that? I tried before but it did nothing. Even read it could be the type of USB stick used :rolleyes:.

Seems a bit faff and very annoying seeing as the original mobo and CPU came in a bundle together.

Soldato
OP
You haven't over tightened the cooler?

Nope. I've installed a different heatsink now but either way I've tried with no heatsink too.

Take out the memory to see if you get any beeps....

I'm assuming you got some sort of speaker on that mobo ?

There's no memory installed. Literally nothing but the CPU, mobo power and cpu/atx power.

Soldato
OP
Last time I had this problem I needed a bios update as the board did not take my cpu on the version it was on. Just a thought.

Checked and this shouldn't be an issue. The CPU I've got is supported from the first bios version: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=5332

Seems other people are having the same issue as me with the same combination: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2477997/gigabyte-x99-ud4-build-boot-loop-post-beep.html. But the solution is suggested to be the BIOS flash. However I can't get it to flash (boot problem or no boot problem!). Put the stick in, turn on and the BIOS light flashes as normal but that's it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom