Shes dead Jim......RMA needed?

Associate
Hi all,

I am hoping that perhaps you can help me. When I went to turn on my computer this morning, nothing happened! ( No beeps, no LEDS on the mobo, no fan movement at all).

I originally thought that perhaps it was the PSU that had blown as there are no LEDs turned on the motherboard. I nipped down to the local shop and picked up a new 650W EV3A PSU and installed that but that hasn't fixed the problem.

I have checked that the power strip that I am using is working (other peripherals work fine). I have taken out all of computer components and laid them out on an antistatic matt - still no use!

Could anyone suggest anything else that I should do before I contact OcUK support? I assume that as these components were all bought just after Christmas, I should be able to arrange for an RMA?

All comments welcome :)

For reference my components are as follows
I7-5820K
Gigabyte X99 -SLI Intel
Asus Geforce GTX 980 Ti

Associate
My problem the other week went just like yourself on my and wait for it 2004 build more or less daily used PC. I was amazed I could still go down my local PC shop and buy a PSU split new to replace it perfectly with no connection issues or nothing. Strange thing with my problem was the wee LED on the motherboard was lit up but obviously the PSU had died. £24 so if i get another year before a high end rig Ill be happy.

Good luck with it all and I hope you get it fixed

Last edited:
Associate
sounds like a dead motherboard to me, do you have any other board you could try? what about removing the cmos battery for an hour and reinserting. tripple checked all cables are secured?
try taking out the ram and powering on, any sign of life?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Unfortunately I don't have a spare motherboard that I can try. I tried resetting the cmos but didn't think to remove the battery, will give that a go thank you. I completely took the mobi out and put it in an anti static Matt and tried booting with a single stick of memory ....nothing

Soldato
Make sure your power switch hasnt broken also by shorting the Power Button jumper on the mobo. Assuming your mobo doesnt have its own power button.

Associate
OP
Hmmm so taking the battery out for an hour seems to have partially worked. When i flicked the power back on the PSU, leds came on the motherboard. Didnt get any further with turning it on as none of the system fans / hdd etc were hooked up.

Question - even if I hook everything back up this evening and it works, should I still consider asking for a replacement board? I assume that something failing and knocking the board out of commission for a while will have impacted on the longevity of the board?

Associate
Hmmm so taking the battery out for an hour seems to have partially worked. When i flicked the power back on the PSU, leds came on the motherboard. Didnt get any further with turning it on as none of the system fans / hdd etc were hooked up.

Question - even if I hook everything back up this evening and it works, should I still consider asking for a replacement board? I assume that something failing and knocking the board out of commission for a while will have impacted on the longevity of the board?

difficult to say without testing for a few days, the board could be fine or the old psu may have died and knocked out the board to. i would run some tests and see what happens.

Soldato
Yeah keep a close eye on it, i've had quite a few mobos die and it normally starts with the bios.

Flash your bios again just to make sure its got no errors.

Back
Top Bottom