Monitor connection question

Soldato
i picked up a HDMI - dvi cable adapter from tesco other day for a 'stock must go' type deal for £2.75 :eek:, I got it only because that's like £20 worth for less than a fiver ha, however I do actually want to put it to use, but for my missus. She is using my monitor as her laptop screen is damaged and she now has her 360 in bedroom where she only uses either so just a case of swapping hdmi cable(originally had her using a vga only monitor with vga cable for laptop), this is only a temp thing and now I got that cable I wanted to know if:::

I will get a signal if I connected a dvi-vga adapter to the hdmi-dvi cable? I basically want to put the cable from her Xbox, but unless I can get a decent screen for the cost of the cheapest adapter(£4) with dvi port then I am hoping I can sort it this way :confused:.

That or I fork out a stupid brand new price of £15 and buy the proper Xbox vga cable?

Last edited:
Soldato
DVI VGA Adaptors come with pretty much every new graphics card. You don't have one lying around?

Also your post is very difficult to read, the only way you will find out that it works is to test it.

Soldato
Bit confused, are you trying HDMI from the Xbox or laptop, to the HDMI to DVI cable, to a DVI to VGA adapter, connecting to the VGA port on the monitor?

That won't work as HDMI is digital only, it does not support analogue output for VGA.

EDIT: Which Xbox is it? I'm guessing 360?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

i did have couple dvi to vga adaptors, but think i sold them with computers awhile back lol and as for the confusion, i probably couldve explained it better :rolleyes:.

basically i was asking about a dvi to vga adaptor to fit the dvi port of the hdmi to dvi cable i purchased and whether it would work.

however ive solved it now, i was able to find a used official vga cable for the 360 eventually and only cost me £1.50, only trouble is can only use her turtle beach headset for sound due to not owning speakers with red & white inputs.

edit: forgot to say, her laptop can connect via vga and she is using my vga only monitor as i got my benq back. it was only the connection to the monitor i needed as swapping hdmi port is simple enough, but doesnt matter now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom