New pc wont boot with 2 sticks of ram

Associate
I've been building a new pc, currently awaiting a RX480 to complete it.

Specs are:
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
i5 6600k
Team Group Dark Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit

When I first built it, on first boot up it only showed one stick of RAM. I turned it off and made sure they were seated properly. Next boot both showed up but trying to install Windows 10 it kept coming up with errors. Driver IRQL not less or equal was one of them. Removed one of the sticks and everything installed fine.
So after a couple of days I've had a chance to have a quick look at it again. Both sticks in and it comes up with errors, System thread exception not handled was the most common. Putting in the single RAM that had been left out and it won't boot or goes to the ASUS logo and no further.
Once again back to the "working" stick and everything boots up as it should.

So, is it faulty RAM, mobo or something else ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Associate
OP
I tried Memtest and it won't run with both sticks in, it gets to 1 or 2 seconds and stops.
DSC_0192_zpsj2ww2gxq.jpg

In the bios screen it does show 2 sticks

DSC_0195_zpssga9zesr.jpg

On normal boot up, it beeps once then goes to the BSOD.

Any thoughts ?? :(

los

los

Associate
Have you tried single Ram in various slots? I've known a cooler to be tightened down to tight can cause it or bent cpu pin, so might be worth a remount as well.

Associate
OP
It works perfectly fine with the one "working" stick, swap them over and out doesn't boot at all.

If i need to RMA the ram, do I send only the faulty stick? This is a new build and I'm expecting a new graphics card tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had another try while home for lunch. Put the working stick in to A1 and it worked perfectly, then the second stick in to B1, nothing. Then the second stick in to A1, nothing.

So 1 stick works when in A1 or A2, when the second is inserted as the primary or secondry stick in any of the slots it doesn't even boot.

Anything else I should check before I request a RMA ?

Back
Top Bottom