*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
400Mbps through powerline? Most I've seen was someone on here with ~23MB/s transfer rate.

Sorry, the 400Mbps is the "sync speed" as reported by the app. In testing I've had around 100Mbps which is more than enough for Amazon Prime/Sky HD Box and a few users connecting wireless to the Ubiquity.

Connection never drops, nice and stable. So pleased for those that can run cables everywhere, I'm currently in a position where I can not.
So, as cables are not an option that leaves wireless or powerline - so no, really not a waste of money at all.

Associate
400Mbps through powerline? Most I've seen was someone on here with ~23MB/s transfer rate.

23MB/s wow, on a good day using my powerline adaptors I get 5MB/s....

Really need to lift the floor to put some cable in.

I've had my ap ac pro for a while now, it's performed brilliantly, had a little hiccup with band steering on some android devices but didn't take long to fix that. Other than that though, really great devices and will be installing one in my parents house soon.

Soldato
getting a UBIQUITI NETWORKS UBI-UAP-AC-PRO 24/5Ghz 450/1300Mbps 122m for work tomorrow, any tips on setting it up?

i intend to use my own machine as the controller for the time being,

plan is get one to ensure it works ok then maybe add another later on down the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just about to purchase a pro but just curious to know if people tend to use the cloud controller for these or the local controller? From what i understand you can only use one of the other i may be wrong though

Soldato
AFIAK...

The access points can only be associated with a single controller.

For basic functionality you only need the controller to be running while you're modifying the configuration. Once configured they'll look after themselves.

Some features need the controller to stay running. If you need those features and you've got somewhere to host the controller you can keep it local.

Now that cloud controller options are available (at not much, if any, additional of a cost) that's what I choose. Provide the configuration information upfront and they just work once plugged in.

If you go down the cloud route there's nothing to stop you changing your mind and running them locally.

Soldato
Yes, they can only be connected to a single controller. You can switch but the config comes from the controller so you'd need to setup your wireless networks again.

I'm using a local controller on an Ubuntu VM. Personally I prefer having that controller locally if for no other reason than if I can't access the controller it'll be my fault. I've used Meraki APs in the past and had occasional issues getting into the cloud controller. I also wasn't overly keen on the amount of upstream bandwidth the APs used for reporting back into the cloud.

Associate
Some one asked earlier about the transmission patterns from these APs and whether there was any difference between horizontal (ceiling) mount or vertical (wall) mount. Anyone got any info - especially if you can get good strength out from the back of unit as thinking having one in our hall would be central location for house but wondering if mounting on wall between hall and living room would benefit reception there (n.b. we've a 1900s house with thick walls!)

Soldato
I've not noticed any difference. One of my AC-LR's is mounted vertically, the other horizontally.

The vertical one is mounted on an external wall so I can't really comment on coverage behind the unit but I have noticed that my phone holds onto the wireless network for a fair distance as I walk away from the house.

Associate
Hi guys, I've just ordered this AP. Just wondering about something:

For for my home, playing online multiplayer games on my PC connected via ethernet, will this be ok?
- my PC is connected to a switch, which is currently connected to my router. Will I lose any performance/reliability if i wire in this AP between my router and switch? or should I just run another ethernet cable from the switch to this AP?

Soldato
Will I lose any performance/reliability if i wire in this AP between my router and switch?

What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting you'd take the existing ethernet cable that goes to your PC and plug that cable into the AP and then another ethernet cable between the AP and your PC?

That's not going to work. Leave your PC connected as it currently is and plug in a new ethernet cable between your switch and AP.

Associate
What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting you'd take the existing ethernet cable that goes to your PC and plug that cable into the AP and then another ethernet cable between the AP and your PC?

That's not going to work. Leave your PC connected as it currently is and plug in a new ethernet cable between your switch and AP.
Your first sentence implies a loop-back to the PC?

Currently I have:
PC - switch - router

Thinking about doing this with the AP:
PC - switch - AP - router
so, utilising the out-going ethernet port of the AP.
Currently there's a female-female coupler linking 2 ethernet patch cables together between the router and switch (because my previous router was located there). So maybe I could swap that coupler for the AP but not if it'll effect performance.

Soldato
I stand corrected - that will work. I thought the second ethernet port on the PRO and EDU models was for a second link back to the switching infrastructure but it seems it will be a bridge port so yes, you can plug your PC into it.

I wouldn't expect you to notice any degredation with the connection on the PC but consider that when you reboot the AP (to do a firmware update for example) your PC will lose its connection until the AP has finished booting.

Associate
Well, decided to take the plunge (especially as suspect a price adjustment due to USD/GBP change may be on its way soon) and bought a UAP-AC-LR. Had a quick play with it tonight ... and wow! Been doing initial setup with the AP in study on 2nd floor of our largish 1900s house and once set up moved it to middle of floor in 2nd floor hall to see what coverage was like. Get almost the full 200Mbs from our VM broadband on speed test when next to the AP so then went down to living room (2 floors + 1 thick 1900s wall to go through) and was still getting 10Mbs with Insidder showing signal significantly better than Asus N56 (in another ground floor room 2 walls away)! So need to spend a bit of time finding best location for it (almost certainly somewhere on ground floor) to maximize signal in rooms where were most likely to need a signal

Last edited:
Soldato
My UAP-AC-LR's have been running for a month now, totally solid with great signal everywhere, seamless roaming between them too, before I had wifi calling disabled as I had drop outs unless I stayed still, now I forget that I'm using wifi calling.

I think someone recommended these a couple of years ago and I wish I had listened. I think it could have been bledd, I'm going to search my old threads now.

Edit - It was Pigeon_Killer, just over 2 years ago. I should have got 2 of these back then, instead I ended up with 3 x Asus N66u's. Now the 2 x UAP-AC-LR's are covering even better with the improved positioning.

Last edited:
Soldato
They're brilliant, aren't they?

I use a wifi SIP phone when working from home and whilst on a conference call last week I did a firmware update on the AP in the study then a few minutes later the other AP. So I rebooted both APs without even dropping the call or noticing any breif drops while the APs were rebooting.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

They're brilliant, aren't they?

I use a wifi SIP phone when working from home and whilst on a conference call last week I did a firmware update on the AP in the study then a few minutes later the other AP. So I rebooted both APs without even dropping the call or noticing any breif drops while the APs were rebooting.
Out of interest, what phone is that?

Back
Top Bottom