Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
Almost there...

Sky Fibre effective from 20/06/2016 £ 10.00

Sky Fibre has a monthly usage limit of 25GB and is ideal for superfast browsing.

We estimate the download speed your line could support will be between 39.0 and 40.0 Mb

You should expect a Guaranteed Minimum Access Line Speed of 34.9 Mb

but then i noticed wrong package/ wrong price.
Quick phone call, they'll be putting me on correct unlimited package at £10 a month when it goes active, plus as a goodwill gesture refunding the £50 activation setup fee.

Associate
hey folks just wondering if you can give me some clarification on my line stats if they are good or bad as i want to move to fibre pro soon but want to get the most of of it i.e. dont want to pay for something that can be 70 but only get 45-50 thanks

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 40000 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.4 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 15.3 dB 12.12 dB

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes seem pretty good to me

Mine are

Connection Speed 39994 kbps 10000 kbps
Line Attenuation 17.0 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 14.8 dB 15.15 dB

I get a solid 39 down and 9.6 up on speedtests.

Soldato
Quick phone call, they'll be putting me on correct unlimited package at £10 a month when it goes active, plus as a goodwill gesture refunding the £50 activation setup fee.

Yeah, I screwed up similarly and they did the same resolution. The website wasn't that clear at the time, probably the same now.

Soldato
hey folks just wondering if you can give me some clarification on my line stats if they are good or bad as i want to move to fibre pro soon but want to get the most of of it i.e. dont want to pay for something that can be 70 but only get 45-50 thanks

Connection Speed 40000 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.4 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 15.3 dB 12.12 dB

Looks good. Appears you can only see your capped 40/10 line stats though. Not your actual attainable sync rate.

Put your phone no. or address on BT's DSL checker page. What do you get? Then you'll know whether it's worth an upgrade.

Bear in mind I wonder if Sky will plan to upgrade their 38Mb package to 52Mb like BT anytime soon...

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Associate
Yeah was thinking about the 52 upgrade i called sky and tried to blag them that i can get a better deal with bt currently but they didn't want to budge currently as my fibre is in contract til October

used the Bt dsl checker tonight and i get a clean vdsl range of between 80 and 68.1 and an impacted of 72 to 37.2. given I regularly get 37.5 to 39 currently i'd say i stand a good chance of getting high 70s

Associate
Almost there...

Sky Fibre effective from 20/06/2016 £ 10.00

Sky Fibre has a monthly usage limit of 25GB and is ideal for superfast browsing.

We estimate the download speed your line could support will be between 39.0 and 40.0 Mb

You should expect a Guaranteed Minimum Access Line Speed of 34.9 Mb

Went active this morning openreach started fiddling in the cabinet about 7.20
, disconnects then reconnects for old asdl, all up and running by 9ish.

Connection Speed 39050 kbps 5973 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.1 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 6.6 dB

Sky lady phoned and switched me to half price unlimited (I'm sure offer page said 6months) for a year , 1 year contract.

Associate
Been live with Sky for about 6 weeks now on 40/10. Speeds started out ok around 36/9, but now average around 30/9. My line should support upto 68mb and my previous 12 months with BT produced a rock solid 37mb.

Moving on to the Sky Q hub, what a total disappointment, wireless AC range is poor compared to my HH5 with constant wireless disconnections and connecting at wireless N speeds doesn't provided much of an improvement and that's after being sent a replacement router.

Sky have agreed to waive the contract cancellation fee, but that still means moving to another provider again and paying more activation fees not to mention having already paid extra for the Sky Q hub. :(

Associate
Just got an email from sky saying they have an offer of 3 months free upgrade to sky fibre pro then after 3 months if i keep it i will be paying £5 extra a month and this also doesnt effect my contract length, can cancel the trial within the first 3 minths and they will put me back on fibre unlimited for free.

Associate
Just cancelled my 38/10 11ms after being perfect from the start then after a couple of months and a few Openreach visits later it gradually deteriorated to 24/3 40ms.
Line was capable of 92/28 shame really was good when working correctly.

Soldato
Just got an email from sky saying they have an offer of 3 months free upgrade to sky fibre pro then after 3 months if i keep it i will be paying £5 extra a month and this also doesnt effect my contract length, can cancel the trial within the first 3 minths and they will put me back on fibre unlimited for free.

Wow that sounds like an amazing deal! I hope I get an email like that!

If I got said email, I'd do it. Are you currently paying £20 per month for your fibre?

This is a good point though, are you paying the full amount or is it discounted? If your paying the full amount it would be more understandable.

Associate
Yeah currently paying £20 for the unlimited as my previous half price discount finished a while ago. Afyer reading the t&cs more when i got home from work in the early hours i went for it, the order is currently processing and seems like it will complete tonight so i will be able to speedtest it later on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah currently paying £20 for the unlimited as my previous half price discount finished a while ago. Afyer reading the t&cs more when i got home from work in the early hours i went for it, the order is currently processing and seems like it will complete tonight so i will be able to speedtest it later on.

Ah ok, that makes sense then. I bet they would not offer it to those of us who have discounts applied.

Caporegime
Well I did it. Two clicks and whoomph the offer was started. Now I will see how long it takes, it says between 24 hours and 12 days. Is it just a software setting they press at their end or does it require hardware changes at the exchange?

Back
Top Bottom