Plusnet Discussion Thread

Associate
I am currentley on the 38/18 fibre package using a draytek 2820 router and it works very well. Today I upgraded to get to the 76/18 package and here are my questions if someone could answer them?

1 - They have said it will take 5-7 days for the speed to go up.. Is this correct or have people had it done sooner than that?

2 - As I said I run a Draytek 2820 (old I know but it serves me well), and everything I am reading says it will bottleneck around the 50mb ish mark. Is this the case? If so am I best just asking them to send one of the plusnet hub routers out?

Thanks in advance,

nam

nam

Soldato
Plusnet Price Increases Line Rental in September, Anyone else got this ?

Broadband download speeds are important for most of the stuff you do online such as browsing, streaming TV, watching videos, gaming and downloading files. So we’re increasing the download speed limit of your fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb‡, which means you might find your connection gets faster. We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb. These changes are happening on 1st August.
If you want to go even faster, you can upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra with up to 76Mb download and up to 19Mb upload.
Changes to your package
You’ll see these changes on your bill from 1st September:
• Your line rental will increase from £16.99 to £17.99 a month.
• Your Anytime call plan will increase from £6.00 to £6.50 a month.
• Your Plusnet Line Rental still includes free calls to other Plusnet Home Phone customers.
• The cost of your broadband isn’t changing.
You can check your package details in our Member Centre.

Soldato
The same information is available on their website (but only if you go looking).

Ignoring the price changes the only people affected appear to be those still on the old 38/19 product.

We will be changing the speed of our fibre broadband service for existing customers who are on our Unlimited Fibre broadband service with download speeds of up to 38Mb† and upload speeds of up to 19Mb to an Unlimited Fibre broadband service with download speeds of up to 52Mb and upload speeds of up to 9.4Mb. Any affected existing Unlimited Fibre customers will receive an email to confirm this. Customers may see an improvement in download speeds and connection times.

If you don't like it:

• Contact PlusNet and see if they'll do you deal
  • Change providers
  • Upgrade to the 76/19 product
The 38/19 offering was always a bit odd. AFIAK it was never offered by Openreach as an option.

If they're going to offer 52/9 alongside or in place of the existing 38/2 product that's going to be an improvement.

Soldato
Why wouldn't they offer 52/9? Is there an official statement?

Even if you can't get over 40Mbit/s is there anything stopping you paying for a 76/19 connection and accepting it'll underperform? I honestly don't know.

Soldato
Why wouldn't they offer 52/9? Is there an official statement?

Staff on their forum have confirmed that it won't be offered for sale to customers or as an upgrade for 40/2 customers.

Even if you can't get over 40Mbit/s is there anything stopping you paying for a 76/19 connection and accepting it'll underperform? I honestly don't know.
They won't sell it to you if your line won't support over 40meg downstream, to them upload speed is irrelevant.

Soldato
Staff on their forum have confirmed that it won't be offered for sale to customers or as an upgrade for 40/2 customers.

So existing customers won't benefit from the extra speed? Sounds like a bit of a con to me (not that it affects me as I'm on the 80/20 package). If I were on that package and didn't get bumped up, I'd be complaining, then voting with my feet.

Associate
We moved down to the 38/2 package a couple of months ago, Just after our 18 month contract ended.

We only used to get about 48-54 download and only 6-8 meg upload at best.

Do you think it's worth pestering them to see if they can change our upload speeds :D God knows we could do with more upload.

The kids xbox live gaming suffers a little bit most days :( Painful playing and trying to chat to friends.

POB

POB

Soldato
After a messy install all is well after a second visit :)

5445388754.png

Back
Top Bottom