Do you really need a software firewall or av when you already have a hardware firewall or av ?

Soldato
Seems pointless when you already have the hardware firewall.....

also my question is if i have say microtread av hardware av in my asus RT_88u ddo i need a software av ?????

should i only be running a mailware detection software only as i already have hardware versions built into my router........

i have always used software in combination with hardware but i think if i only need the hardware versions it would speed my system up a little on the hdd side :)

Soldato
You want to trust a consumer grade router to protect your entire network on it's own?

Keep your multiple layers of protection. Any performance benefits should be marginal.

And your 'hardware' router is as reliant on software (and the producer getting it 100%) as your 'software' Firewall/AV solution.

Associate
Measure it.

Do some tests.
Turn off local AV and firewall.
Do the same tests.
Unless you see a staggering difference in performance, you'll have the answer.

Soldato
If you're using HDDs for your OS then ditch them as SSDs are so cheap now.

If you wanted to play with something I run Sophos UTM (nicer interface than pfSense) in a VM which acts as my router/firewall/network AV scanner. I still run Kaspersky + Malwarebytes on all my PC devices though.

Even my passive cooled Braswell 4 core Zotac nano which hosts the Sophos VM + runs Kaspersky is still perfectly usable as a low power internet and email browsing PC. Leaves my main power hungry system for mostly gaming sessions.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Seems pointless when you already have the hardware firewall.....

Router firewall: Required. Protects the LAN from threats on the Internet. Worms were a major issue back in the day because routers weren't common.
PC firewall: Required. Protects the local machine from threats on the local area network.

Router AV seems like a waste of CPU cycles. Use a free AV such as Sophos or Bitdefender, on your PC.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
If you're using HDDs for your OS then ditch them as SSDs are so cheap now.

If you wanted to play with something I run Sophos UTM (nicer interface than pfSense) in a VM which acts as my router/firewall/network AV scanner. I still run Kaspersky + Malwarebytes on all my PC devices though.

Even my passive cooled Braswell 4 core Zotac nano which hosts the Sophos VM + runs Kaspersky is still perfectly usable as a low power internet and email browsing PC. Leaves my main power hungry system for mostly gaming sessions.

I keep meaning to have a play with this and see how it compares with more enterprise focuses stuff.

For the IPS/URL stuff does it have any SSL/TLS inspection capability?

Soldato
OP
thanks guys, guess i was right to keep the software + hardware method that i have been using all along, i just thought routers where catching up and soon software av or firewall wouldnt be needed anymore lol and could have been done all on the router side.

Back
Top Bottom