Powerline

Associate
I live in a 4 storey Victorian terraced house with the VM hub on the second floor

We get good wifi reception until we get to the top floor as the signal drops due to the solid walls and distance.

I'm after a power line kit that would help with the wifi signal on the top floor. Only really used for an amazon fire 4k box and sky hd with phones/laptops

Any help would be appreciated as I want to make sure I get the right one

Thanks all in advance

Soldato
Devolo kits are supposed to be very good. Go for the fastest set you can afford as you won't get anything like the imaginary speeds they print on the box.

Soldato
500mbit should get you enough real world speed to stream video, there's also the possibility of using wifi extenders on each floor if the wiring is too noisy.

Associate
I recently bought a tp link power line kit they have power pass through so you dont lose a socket and a single ethernet port. Have to say i have been impressed witht he stability and speed they have offered i havent lost any internet thoughput going from a cat 6 cable to these i consistenly get my 38 down and 10 up speed. Obviously though there is the usual warnings with powerlines that the condition of your wiring will have an effect on the signal strength and speed i'm lucky that I live in a 70's house with fairly beefy wiring and its in good condition too

Associate
OP
I recently bought a tp link power line kit they have power pass through so you dont lose a socket and a single ethernet port. Have to say i have been impressed witht he stability and speed they have offered i havent lost any internet thoughput going from a cat 6 cable to these i consistenly get my 38 down and 10 up speed. Obviously though there is the usual warnings with powerlines that the condition of your wiring will have an effect on the signal strength and speed i'm lucky that I live in a 70's house with fairly beefy wiring and its in good condition too

which tp link model did you go for as I've seen various models and do you use cabled/wifi?

Soldato
All three of my TP-Link Powerline adapters had to be replaced under warranty because they died after a couple of years. They were decent enough swapping them out (though it cost me postage each time) but I'd probably opt for a better brand next time I need to buy some.

Associate
which tp link model did you go for as I've seen various models and do you use cabled/wifi?

Well to be honest i wasnt sure how well powerline would work so went for a fairly cheap set to begin with i got the tp link AV500 with ac pass through cost me like 35 quid so not the end of the world if they didnt work close to my expectations. All my pc's are cabled i re used a gigabit switch from my previous setup to breakout the powerline to two pc's but you can buy higher end model i think the AV1200 that has 3 gigabit ports. I use to run an ethernet cable from my router out the wall up the side of my house and then back into my office and into a switch and these powerlines work just as fast for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom