What router or access point for about £50?

Commissario
Hi

I was chatting to my brother in law earlier and he needs a new access point (or router that can be turned into an access point) for his living room.
He already has a router that is good enough for what he wants in terms of wired connections, but it's never worked reliably with Idevices so a few years back I gave him a Linksys WRT54GS, which is now dying (and is really really old).

So does anyone have a suggestion for either a wireless access point or Router for around £50 that works well with things like Iphones, assorted tablets etc and has a reasonable range.

I can see a bunch on the store but have no real idea and can't find much out about several of them, i'd probably take a punt on one of the ASUS or TP link ones, but as it's not for me I want to try and get it right first time:)

Soldato
If you really want a good AP, look for the Ubiquiti UniFi UAP (300Mbps N) for approx £55.

Or if he can stretch the budget, Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE (1200Mbps AC) for approx £76.

I'm going off the typical consumer grade tat!

Commissario
OP
Cheers, I'll have a look at the Ubiquiti's as they seem to be about what I think he'd like but I'm not sure if he'll agree with the cost :) (the reason he's been using my old linkysys for years is partly because he didn't want to buy a new AP/router originally).

I'm actually tempted to get one for here as well, as it looks like it would be better than the old Belkin router I've got running as an access point in the living room (and with it being POE I could easily try moving it around the place to get a better signal).
For some reason I thought they were a lot more expensive.

Soldato
Can i ask, the Unifi appears to work best mounted on a ceiling? Or am i inferring that incorrectly. I too am looking for an AP and the Unifi keeps coming up over and over but I cant do a ceiling mount.

Soldato
Can i ask, the Unifi appears to work best mounted on a ceiling? Or am i inferring that incorrectly. I too am looking for an AP and the Unifi keeps coming up over and over but I cant do a ceiling mount.

I installed a UAC AC Pro yesterday on a wall, it's range is very impressive. Get 2 bars on my iPhone through 2 walls and about 30 metres away. It's also facing the opposite way.

Soldato
Awesome. Also I've not worked with POE before. I want to run it from my HH5, so I suppose i need something between it and the HH5 to make it work?

Sorry for stealig your thread Werewolf.

Soldato
Awesome. Also I've not worked with POE before. I want to run it from my HH5, so I suppose i need something between it and the HH5 to make it work?

Sorry for stealig your thread Werewolf.

UAC AC Pro comes with a POE Injector (Mains cable to Injector, one cable from HH5 to Injector, One from injector to AP) Can't be sure if it comes with UAC Lite best to check the package list.

Back
Top Bottom