Vodafone router : Getting user/pass

Soldato
When I was with SKY, I used Wireshark to give me the username and password.

I am now with Vodafone for my phone and Broadband and I am forced to use their modem/router.

Any way I can get round this?

Looking on google, shows me that it is not.

Soldato
OP
If you could, that would be a great help.

Right now, I am using their modem, but another Router and the router is giving me that extra power, but I would VERY much prefer to use my own of course.

Also, what if this Modem fails? How long will I have to do without the internet before they get off their behinds and send me a new one? I have loads here and I would rather simply plop the login details into one of these and only be without it for a few minutes tops, rather than a week or so, while they piddle about faffing to work out the issue only to then send me one after all that!

Soldato
Good luck trying. I've tried various routes and they won't divulge them.

I posted in this thread on their forums a workaround I use to minimise the demand on the VF router and get back using my own more powerful solution:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay...one-connect-router-DHCP-settings/td-p/2429735

Aside from double NATing (which doesn't cause me personally problems) its an inelegant but functioning solution. Won't help downtime if the VF router's modem craps out though.

I won't be renewing when my contract is up. The UK based customer service was an appeal and has been decent enough other than they are hamstrung by their policies and naff hardware.

Associate
The username and password aren't actually stored on the router from what I've been able to find so far, you do need to get the password over the phone somehow. I've heard of someone doing that successfully.
Absolutely horrible routers despite the 11ac wireless, I can't even use it as an access point because the DHCP can't be turned off.

Soldato
OP
I agree. This is dire, but I dont have any choice but to use it.

In my house, I need powerful router and so, thats what I have done for the moment.

I have extended the home and I have a sizeable LAN, I also have a computer in almost each room, plus an XBOX 360 and a XBOX one, plus the SKy TV and all the members of the family have Mobile phones and Tablets ( and their own PCs ) and at time,s I can have 50 or so devices at any time on the network, and rubbish routers heat up like crazy.

But anyway, this defaults to 192.168.1.1 as does the router I am using and I have tried to do various things, but in the end, I decided that it would simply be easier to leave the vodefone one alone and alter the asus router.

So, what I am doing, is only using the Vodafone as a modem and nothing else... I have the wireless disabled, and the Asus I have set it to 192.168.0.1 and both have DHCP on and both hane the firewall on, but they are working just fine.

I would rather only use the ASUS on its own.

The Asus I have been using for this, is just a router, the RT-N56UB1 and this looks like it has most of what I need and I got it for a song, so Im happy with it, I would prefer to not use it and only have my main setup that I have used for years, or maybe even the dreytek and ASUS combo?

Anyway yes, I have mentioned the username / password to Vodafone, however I have a great thing happen to me, that I dont want to have to change...

When I went over to voda, I wanted to keep my number. They messed up and gave me a different number. They said that it was SKY's fault and when Icontact sky, they are seeing me on the old number, but they cannot phone me on it, and when I use it to phone everyone, its the new number, the old number is dead, and yet the computers tell sky its the old one.
Anyway, with the number being not what I singed up for, and the Internet being funky and not being able to use my own router in spite of being told that I could, Voda have said that I wont have to pay my phone or internet bill until it is all fully sorted.
Later on that day, they said they made a mistake and the number cannot be rectified and they will not be able to fix the number back to my old one.

This means that I do not have to pay for my phone line or my internet from vodafone at all... I wonder how long they will keep that up for? I bet they will make my line a load of crud and make my life rotten and they will force me to leave, but until then, Im happy with things as they are LOL

Soldato
OP
They bring their own issues with them

BT are the same as SKY... They promise you X and deliver Y and charge you last month + RND(1)*daysI have been online with them so no matter what, the bills creep up)

PlusNet dont do around here? Or they didnt when I asked last.

Oh, and like a tool, I have only just gone with them, so I am kind of shafted into a contract now.

I have done a semi-solution in that I am using both their router, and mine, with only using the modem of their and teh routing of mine and its working as well as can be expected.

Voda Modem is 192.168.0.1
Router is 192.168.1.1 pointing to the Voda
I have disabled the voda WiFi and even though both have DHCP on, only the router actually does any assigning.

This has also prompted me to get off my behind and sort out some more networking, as I have meant to do tsome things for years now... Mainly, putting the modem as close as possible to the socket, the Router, and my 3 NAS Drives all in the kitchen out of the way, but also on display on its own little shelf and this will help clean up the billions of cables that are at my feet on my main PC.

Not actually done this yet, and 2 weeks ago I bought a load of trunking to redo that too, and its been dumped in the living room all this time, but hey ho, its the thought that counts.

Back
Top Bottom