Phanteks Enthoo Pro M rebuild...

Associate
so Ive revamped my system..

I ordered an i5 4690k and a new gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI board to replace the sabertooth 990fx and 1090t that was in my system.
Once again super fast delivery from O,C my only complaint is I had to go to the local shop for a packet of Haribo's :eek:.. My 3 year old had been promised them when the courier arrived but once opened he was left disappointed as there was none to be found!!

the AMD set up will live on in my old zalman tower and mainly be used by my oldest son but will get some use from me as well.
so ive went from this...
20150805_183059_zpscxqxqkp9.jpg

to this.. ( not a great pic will get a better one tomorrow)
20150928_233102_zps64a6xa8r.jpg

here was the contents of my package..

20150928_130029_zpskne9ouxm.jpg

Associate
OP
In the first pic, what is that green pcb'd card?

yes it was the wireless card. if you look at the new build youll see ive fitted a new one above the gpu but its tiny compared to the old one.

In the first pic, what is that to the right side of your PC?
Are you doing a desk build - looks funky.

:) thats my sons bat man cave thing toy

Phanteks, love this company! Always make quality products :D

I must admit its the best case ive had. I was looking at a few cases then this one was coming out so I held off to get it as I really liked the look of it. I'm glad I did I'm well chuffed with it.

Associate
OP
Nice upgrades, does look a very nice case to work in.
cheers. I must admit im looking forward to getting everything installed on it and then trying a game out to see if there's much of a difference over the 8350.

Im still running the same ram and gpu so the only thing that has changed is the cpu and motherboard so this will let me see if the Intel stuff is as good as they say.

I must admit though.. so far my pc boots faster and feels smoother but that could just be the fresh install of windows

Associate
OP
so I installed steam and got dirt 3 set back up and decided to run a bench test!!

now before I show the results I've read all the hype about intel i5's and how there the best and how AMD is slow and i5's will wipe the floor with them in games and I always thought these claims were exaggerated...

heres the old fx8350 result on high settings same gpu and ram

dirt3_zpse831e5c3.png

now heres the benchtest done about 10 minutes ago and all that's changed is the motherboard and cpu everything else has carried over from my old machine!!!
ignore the picture taken from the monitor.. ( I cant remember how I got the screen shot last time!! )
20150929_155403_zpsbq4j9wpz.jpg

so conclusion... I should have went with an i5 when I first built my machine!!
my AMD machine will be getting rehoused back into the z9 case and will still earn its keep but I will be keeping my eyes open for a cheap i5 set up for my oldest son..

Associate
OP
as can be seen in the picture above I had one of my old fans in the front as the fans I had in the front which were bought at the same time as the case there cables were pretty short and wouldnt reach the fan headers on the gigabyte board.
so the wife decided to try her hand at soldering ( she does a tidier job than me!!)
so ive now got my 2 matching fans back in and working :D

20151001_234233_zpsdf9q5obd.jpg

also I discovered my new motherboard has red light strips on it :eek: so I changed my corsair pump to red also. not a great picture.. but Im half tempted to add a brighter red light inside the case!! but I would want a way of turning it off..
20151001_234213_zpsjcrruzmg.jpg

Associate
Wow, major improvement in test results!

And props to the missus for soldering skills :)

Just in time for a weekend of gaming to celebrate the new build ;)

Associate
OP
Wow, major improvement in test results!

And props to the missus for soldering skills :)

Just in time for a weekend of gaming to celebrate the new build ;)

yea Ive got it running well. I had a wee shot of dirt 3 lastnight. Im half tempted to install just cause 2 later. its just a bummer ill need to start from the start again.

and yip the wife has a good eye and steady hand.. so she's now had a promotion and is in charge of any soldering jobs that are required

Associate
OP
Ive also been playing with the radiator location.
on my old case with the 8350 I got really good results having it at the front and used as an intake.
so I ran it as an exhaust at the rear for about a week and then decided to try it at the front again as an intake.
so results are..
idle the cpu is 2-3c cooler and on load it is running around 8c cooler.
so the gpu.. again idle its running cooler and on load I would say its a few c lower again!!
the motherboard temps I would say have remained the same during idle and load!!

now I have my top fan as an intake, bottom fan intake, radiator as an intake and a single exhaust at the rear.
present fan set up
temporary_zpsupaqie3x.jpg

previous fan set up
20151001_234233_zpsdf9q5obd.jpg

Associate
OP
so Ive never really manually overclocked before previously I had just used the bios in the sabertooth board to get an overclock on the AMD chips and it worked fine.

so after getting the 4690k bundle the Bios wasnt like the asus board and didint offer any settings for oc mode and I had been playing with settings but not having major success as kept running into heat issues.
so after I posted a thread and got some good advice I managed to get it running a nice stable 4.5Ghz tonight with no major heat issues
Capture_zpsovujogy9.png

Back
Top Bottom