Guardiola v Mourinho

fez

fez

Caporegime
I would bet on Mourinho personally. Guardiola is still a big unknown in my books. I think Moyes could have managed the Barca and Bayern sides Guardiola had and still done quite well. Its the same with Blanc at PSG.

Bayern are ridiculously well run from top to bottom. They have 1 half competitive side in their league and every season they plunder them for their best players. Geotze, Lewandowski and Hummels have all contributed to a massive swing in Bayerns favour.

Barcelona are one of the top teams in the world, have a team full of superstars and a player who is on another planet to everyone else playing the game.

Mourinho has won leagues, CL etc with squads that are not the best team at that point so I have more faith in him.

That being said, next year will be a cracker regardless of those two. There will be 6 teams with great managers fighting for 4 CL spots. Out of the 6 I would say that Spurs and Liverpool are the most likely to fall short.

Klopp is a great manager but I don't know whether his brand of football will succeed over a full season. Its too intense to keep up every game.

Caporegime
Pep, more likely to get the bigger names both with CL football and manager reputation. Early days and a lot will depend on signings but I wouldn't be surprised If United aren't at the races again next year. I fancy Manu to not get CL football again, but of course I would revisit that depending on who Mendes brings in.

Soldato
How much is Pep going to be able to learn about the Epl before the first game ( whereas mourinho will already know most of whats required minus any new transfers)

In City' s favour will probably be the bigger / more well known transfers and playing Tues/Wed and Sat, rather than Thurs and Sunday ( which still seams to cause squads problems) as well as most likely the shorter travelling times.

It will be interesting to see who they both ( and Conte and Klopp) bring in

Klopp has amassive advantage of having no euro games at all ( although that might make it harder to attract players in the 1st place)

Soldato
City should be winning the league at a canter next season in my opinion. They've got a very good squad, although a few gaps to fill, (Kompany for example) and Guardiola. I do agree with the statement that he's always had by far the best team in every league, and while this is still true, the other teams are much closer in the Premier League.

Mourinho, I obviously hope he beats Guardiola, being a United fan :p He does have the experience of the Premier League, and has also, as mentioned won CL's with teams that definitely shouldn't have won CL's, namely Porto, and to a lesser degree Inter.

Not sure how Conte will do to be honest, I've not seen much of him, but again, a very good squad at Chelsea.

Klopp, I really don't know, Liverpool's team strikes me as being terrible defensively.

Ranieri..I doubted them from the start of the season, thinking they'd tail off eventually. I just can't see them managing this season at all with European football. I expect them to finish 7th-10th, but you know what they say, Fool me once, fool me twice..

Arsenal, bahaha, top of the league by Christmas, injuries and no signings in January, tail off, #WengerOut..you know..the usual...

Man of Honour
Mourinho of course.

:p

I think it will be fascinating to watch both of them, perhaps Pep more so, as he's generally been in charge of teams that have far superior players to the rest of their league. That said, I'm sure City will be making more than a few signings to bring their squad up to scratch (as will we, hopefully).

Soldato
I actually can't wait to see how Pep gets on. I mean he's never really had to go in and actually build a team from the transfer market in a league where there's certainly five or six solid title contenders.

Caporegime
People seem to dismiss Leicester so easily. If Ranieri can buy wisely and keep his title winning squad I see no reason for them not to be challenging for top 5. Nottingham Forest proved before that it can be done.

Pep has a lot to prove. Sure city have a strong team but nothing compared to taking over the best Barcelona side in history or a historic treble winning Bayern. Summer transfer is going to be amazing none the less!

Last edited:
Caporegime
People seem to dismiss Leicester so easily. If Ranieri can buy wisely and keep his title winning squad I see no reason for them not to be challenging for top 5. Nottingham Forest proved before that it can be done.

Notts forest weren't competing with the kinds of money difference that now exist. They won't finish anywhere near top 4 next year. Knowing modern football Claudio will be sacked next year.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I think they could do quite well but:

People will know how to play against them a bit better next season.

They might not have one or more of their vital players still (Vardy, Kante and Mahrez are still quite likely to leave in my opinion)

If one of those guys isn't in peak form that will be the end of it.

If one of those guys get injured that will be it. They were amazingly lucky with injuries to their key players last season.

They have CL football next season. Which competition will they prioritise. Personally I hope they go for the CL because if they can keep their squad together I think they could do quite well. A less talented Athletico Madrid.

Chelsea won't be mid-table again next season.

United, City and Chelsea all have top new managers and will spend big in the summer.

I can see them coming top half of the table but thats it. Their squad is a bit like a racing car. Very finely tuned but not very durable. This season has been an anomaly where everything that could have gone right for them has done.

Soldato
They have CL football next season. Which competition will they prioritise. Personally I hope they go for the CL because if they can keep their squad together I think they could do quite well. A less talented Athletico Madrid.

hmm Im not convinced

Very few of the players have any real european experiance, Im sure everyone in pots B-H will be praying they are in Leicester's group

Absolutely no discredit meant to them, they fully deserve it and hope they take as much out of the CL experience as they can, but remember even when City were very good and Yaya , Aguerro, Silva etc were all at their peak a few years ago they were regularly knocked out of the CL pretty quickly because even those guys had a hard time (and Fergie with Utd also struggled quite a few times with EPL winning teams with players vastly more experienced than Leicester's current squad).

I really HOPE they DO go far in the CL, I just cant see it happening at all

fez

fez

Caporegime
Its really hard to call because City had all these quality players but didn't understand the tactical side of things in the CL. They felt they were playing vastly inferior sides so they tried to play their usual game. I don't think Leicester will do that. They will know that they are almost always the underdog so they will defend well and counter.

Soldato
As Champions - which City were a few years ago, they would have been in the 1st pot, so they wouldnt have been in the group of death

So yes it IS a fair comparison

I was tryinhg ot remember how many groups there were which is why I suggested pots b-h, but yes of course there are only 4.

I still think while (if Leicester are lucky) most teams from the 4th pot should be reasonable, there might be some nasty teams in that one also however, majority of teams in pots 2 & 3 might be tactically more astute and more experienced in the CL and Leicester may therefore find them a lot harder to play against

Back
Top Bottom