Overclocking 6700k worth it for gaming?

Soldato
I've got a 6700k running as standard with a 980ti slightly overclocked.

Will overclocking my cpu give me any performance increases in games like

The Division
The Witcher
Xcom 2

Im using X34 ultrawide screen @ 3440 x 1440

Thanks
spluff

Associate
Do it (although remember that you are asking the question on an enthusiast forum :cool: so it's a pretty foregone conclusion)

You will certainly see improvements and as long as you have decent cooling it will be all good.

Soldato
As an older more layed back kind of guy (many would say I'm lying about that) I haven't OC'ed my 6700k .. yet. It is doing everything I need done at lightning speed .. and the speed of light is fast enough for me for now. :D

Overclocking is great, but it does have it's down sides. The biggest is power consumption. If you are now using 90 watts of power 24/7 and overclock so it's using 180 watts, you will be doubling the amount of electricity you have to pay for. So if you don't need the extra power, don't overclock.

Kinda like driven a car with a normal economical engine. It does everything you need. But if you want to have a high powered car you are going to be paying twice as much a mile in fuel costs. ;)

Soldato
OP
I will overclock using adaptive mode - so the overclock will only happen when the cpu is stressed in gaming etc...

Maybe you should think of doing that?

Soldato
LOL. Yeah, I have, but it's working so well now. All the gremlins are tucked into bed sleeping soundly and I really don't want to chance waking them up. :D

Let me know how yours goes. I love to test coolers and pay with airflow, but I really hate overclocking. ;)

Associate
I'd be very interested to see if you experience any improvement in those games especially.

I am running a very similar spec to you and although my 980ti is overclocked to 1450 my 6700K is still at stock as although the GFX card is often maxed out the CPU rarely goes above 50% usage.

Soldato
OP
to be honest mikey that's what I was thinking - was hoping for someone who has done and has got real results in improvements....

may hold off until someone comes back with something concrete as it can be a pain oc

Soldato
LOL. Yeah, I have, but it's working so well now. All the gremlins are tucked into bed sleeping soundly and I really don't want to chance waking them up. :D

Let me know how yours goes. I love to test coolers and pay with airflow, but I really hate overclocking. ;)

Have you tried under volting your 6700k for temps/power reasons? Just wondering if you see much of a result.

Soldato
It won't be limiting you for gaming so to answer your question. No it's pointless.

However ;)

If you didn't want to overclock you wouldn't be hanging around on an overclocking forum so go for it!

Associate
It might give you a few more FPS here and there... go for it. I think I gained a few FPS on a game or 2 from my CPU overclock... if I remember what the pre-overclock results were correctly ;)

Associate
Division is quite punishing on cpu, the rest, hmm

In the real world I don't think you will see big improvement but you will see higher temperatures.

Soldato
Even 100w more for 5 hours a day every day is like £22 a year.

It's likely running overvoltage on auto anyway, undervolting could save you 50w if you are that worried.

Easy enough to get a higher overclock on lower voltages and use less power than the defaults will for an unclocked chip.

One particular chart I just saw was a 6700k at 4.7 drawing 220w vs a stocker on auto which was drawing 192w at its default settings. At 4.6 it was drawing just 189w, so less than the stock settings because the auto voltage was so high.

Soldato
Even 100w more for 5 hours a day every day is like £22 a year.

It's likely running overvoltage on auto anyway, undervolting could save you 50w if you are that worried.

Easy enough to get a higher overclock on lower voltages and use less power than the defaults will for an unclocked chip.

One particular chart I just saw was a 6700k at 4.7 drawing 220w vs a stocker on auto which was drawing 192w at its default settings. At 4.6 it was drawing just 189w, so less than the stock settings because the auto voltage was so high.
While you make a good arguement it is off-topic. :D
spluff asked if overclocking 6700k would improve gaming performance.

The answer is no, it will not.
But it will take time and cost money.

My calculations are £30.00, so not much more. But the point is it cost more, and for gaming there is no or insignificant gain. So it's wasted expense.

Because there is no significant gain, the time spent learning how to do the overclock as well as time to do it are therefore also wasted effort.

Donate the electrical cost savings to your favorite charity.
Donate the time wasted overclocking to some disabled or old person in your neighborhood by offering to cut their grass or wash their windows. :p

While it's only a little money or a little time spent it will make our world a little better.

Even a selfish gaming addict can use the money toward a new game and the time gaming.

If you want to overclock for fun than do it. Just don't try justifying it by saying 'it's only £20 more a year.' :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom