HTC Vive

Soldato
Now then; it seems things are not completely fixed as the base stations are not going to sleep.

Make sure the Bluetooth driver is installed (click the option in the SteamVR settings) and personally I'd get on the SteamVR BETA as you get lots of little fixes for things like this. My basestations turn on/off virtually instantaneously now, but were a bit fickle at launch running the regular SteamVR version.

Soldato
Uninstalled BT and then reinstalled from the SteamVR client. Now working as expected. I was in the beta and but came back out due to a camera issue; I think you're right and may opt back in.

Soldato
what resolution should I set my games at if there's the option? 2160 x 1200 or 1080 x 1200, not sure what the best option is. Thanks

Most (all) VR settings are taken care of automatically if the game has proper Vive support, I've not had to set the res. on anything I've played including the likes of Project Cars where you can change all the options.

Is it something specific or are you talking generally?

Soldato
For VR games; I've yet to discover a resolution option! For ED I just select VR high as I can select anything in the resolution drop-down and it seemingly makes no difference at all.

Out of interest what games are you trying? Do you use VorpX?

Soldato
Damn it. For those about to RMA follow the online guide and not just the info HTC give you.

I didn't detach the buckles off my vive, only the straps and face foam.

I don't know for sure, but Ive emailed support to find out if they have my buckles or whether they have returned them with my new unit.

How frustrating

Soldato
Emailed dynafix and got a response. They have apparently shipped me a new vive with all the accessories...not sure what that means entirely....but he said not to worry.

Associate
I received my Vive on Tuesday - only ordered couple of weeks ago. Big old box! But well packaged.

Took a bit of time to setup, got the bases mounted up, but my PC room just isn't big enough so standing/seated only. Having some random issues where the triggers aren't recognised when trying to select stuff from the menu (maybe I'm doing something wrong). Generally software does seem a bit clunky. Had unplugged and replugged USB a few times.

I had intended to use Assetto Corsa but couldn't get that to work. Seems there was a prog called "revive" but I can't make it work now. Anyway I downloaded project Cars as this actually supports Vive. Works nicely but do find resolution lacking, I want more detail just feels a bit soft when looking to corners ahead. Also have to keep graphics options turned down, mostly on "low" to get solid 90fps (980ti OC'ed).

Definitely more immersive though (I have G27). The light paining app is really cool and because it's not trying to be "realistic" like a racing sim the resolution isn't such a problem.

I think with higher res and better graphics cards so we can achieve 90fps with all the details turned on it would be really immense - eye tracking also could be a big plus. As it is, I'm on the fence a bit at the moment. I started to feel a bit motion sick last night too, so will only race/game in short spurts. I might need to adjust the headset a bit more to get optimum focus, I didn't realise reading text would be quite so tricky.

My early setup/play 2p anyway. cheers

Soldato
Hi everyone, I'm planning on getting the HTC Vive after demoing it for the first time last week. I really thought it was amazing and totally blew me away playing the demo's in The lab!

I just wanted to ask a few questions, I'm planning on pre-ordering tomorrow from Overclockers .

This might seem like a strange question but do you foresee any issues with my buying it from Overclcokers rather then the official website?

Do you think I would receive my Vive at the same time as I would if I ordered it from official website or would it be slower or quicker?

And does Overclockers charge you up front or just when it's shipped?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
They Charge up front. I personally have more hope in overclockers performing business to business RMA's than direct B2C RMA.

Thanks for your quick reply, yeah thats what I was thinking but just thought I'd post for a second opinion in case anyone had any further information or anything I wasn't thinking about.

I read an article last week that listed three retailers in the UK but out of the three I thought Overclockers would be the best bet.
Just realized as well, its £51.60 cheaper order from Overclockers due to no delivery cost so I've definetly made my mind up now!!

Very excited!! Ordering tomorrow which is my pay day! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for your quick reply, yeah thats what I was thinking but just thought I'd post for a second opinion in case anyone had any further information or anything I wasn't thinking about.

I read an article last week that listed three retailers in the UK but out of the three I thought Overclockers would be the best bet.
Just realized as well, its £51.60 cheaper order from Overclockers so I've definetly made my mind up now!!

Very excited!! Ordering tomorrow which is my pay day! :D

welcome to the waiting club!

Associate
I received my Vive on Tuesday - only ordered couple of weeks ago. Big old box! But well packaged.

Took a bit of time to setup, got the bases mounted up, but my PC room just isn't big enough so standing/seated only. Having some random issues where the triggers aren't recognised when trying to select stuff from the menu (maybe I'm doing something wrong). Generally software does seem a bit clunky. Had unplugged and replugged USB a few times.

I had intended to use Assetto Corsa but couldn't get that to work. Seems there was a prog called "revive" but I can't make it work now. Anyway I downloaded project Cars as this actually supports Vive. Works nicely but do find resolution lacking, I want more detail just feels a bit soft when looking to corners ahead. Also have to keep graphics options turned down, mostly on "low" to get solid 90fps (980ti OC'ed).

Definitely more immersive though (I have G27). The light paining app is really cool and because it's not trying to be "realistic" like a racing sim the resolution isn't such a problem.

I think with higher res and better graphics cards so we can achieve 90fps with all the details turned on it would be really immense - eye tracking also could be a big plus. As it is, I'm on the fence a bit at the moment. I started to feel a bit motion sick last night too, so will only race/game in short spurts. I might need to adjust the headset a bit more to get optimum focus, I didn't realise reading text would be quite so tricky.

My early setup/play 2p anyway. cheers

How big is your space out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom