5x3m Rear Extension - Self Manage?

Associate
Hi,

I looked in to conservatories and I think I'd prefer to put some extra effort in and get a proper extension.

Firstly, I'd like to plan this myself if it means I save thousands, if I'm unlikely to save anything and better off going to a one stop shop then let me know.

I want to be sure of the steps that are required and which tradesmen I would need at which point.

My list as follows:
Architect - plans
Building control application
Welsh water build over agreement (build over sewer pipe with lintel)
Dig foundations - general labourer?
Concrete poured for footings - who to get?
Bricklayer in to lintel over the sewer pipe?
Welsh water and building control called out to inspect lintel
Bricklayer to finish the shell including moving my existing window and door and adding another window.
Concrete floor? I have no idea
Roof - roofer
Electrician first fix
Plasterer to board and skim internals.
Electrician 2nd fix
2 radiators - plumber
Carpet laid.
Doorframes and skirting - diy
Painting and decorating - diy

I'm a little confused at who would be responsible to insulate, Plasterer or Bricklayer?

I'd like to at least get the stages in my head, in the correct order and who to contract for each job.

Any advice greatly welcomed

Ian

Soldato
you say bricklayer but a decent builder will do the bricklaying, insulating between the 2 walls as well as the concrete floor. May even be able to plaster depending on the builder.

Electricians and gas need qualified people.

Chances are the builder will know people in the trade that will be able to come and do the work. Find a good builder and you'll be sorted.

Also, do you need an architect to design an extension? Builder down the road from me everything himself on his extension, foundations, 2 floor extension and roof as well as all the plastering and central heating. No architect was used. A quick google shows this: http://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for-homeowners/i-am-improving/do-i-need-an-architect/

So, you don't need one by law but there are some pro's and con's to them. As I thought though, an experienced builder will know exactly what needs doing to meet code and save you a fair chunk of cash.

Not much to add except that you should look to add UFH

Under floor heating? A lot of builders and gas guys I know won't touch it due to any issues with it mean ripping the entire floor up. It's a marmite kind of system.

Top grade insulation and double/triple glazing is a must, not sure UFH is a bonus.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Only reason I want an architect is for the plans to show building control. Also I have asked for quotes for build of a porch in the past, builders would not even think about building without seeing plans first.

Also, how do I find out at which stages building control will need to be called?

I'm trying not to get a jack of all trades and stick to the professionals. I want to ensure things are done to a high standard and without paying twice 6 months down the line for a dodgy roof repair for example.

I'm staying away from ufh, I did look in to it but I don't really think it replaces radiators, I'd still need at least one radiator anyway and it's just extra expense.

Soldato
If you are going to use an architect they will advise at which milestones you need to contact building control, that is why you pay them :D other option is to contact them directly and ask when it suits them.

A good builder isn't a jack of all trades, they'll do general building, cement, insulation etc

They will never touch things such as electrics and gas.

Associate
OP
How much time are we talking for me to be managing the build each day? Full time? Part time?

I have 2 kids and also run a business, though I can easily take time off if needed, I just need to plan ahead.

Soldato
If it was me, speaking from experience of extension on our house.

Find a good local single/self employed architect - check his previous work/clients etc are happy. He will deal with building control etc.

Get yourself a good builder - he will deal with all the other trades required, electrcian, plumber etc

Then up to you regards decorating,carpets, flooring, finishes etc. Most builders will complete to building standard, then up to you to finish.

I certainly wouldn't try and manage all those trades, with 2 kids and your own buinsess (that's coming from someone with 2 kids and own business)

in short - get a good local architect, and a good local builder and let them get on with it. You might save a few quid running around yourself but ultimately not thousands and thousands etc.

Soldato
If it was me, speaking from experience of extension on our house.

Find a good local single/self employed architect - check his previous work/clients etc are happy. He will deal with building control etc.

Get yourself a good builder - he will deal with all the other trades required, electrcian, plumber etc

Then up to you regards decorating,carpets, flooring, finishes etc. Most builders will complete to building standard, then up to you to finish.

I certainly wouldn't try and manage all those trades, with 2 kids and your own buinsess (that's coming from someone with 2 kids and own business)

in short - get a good local architect, and a good local builder and let them get on with it. You might save a few quid running around yourself but ultimately not thousands and thousands etc.

good post - and just to add, whilst you might think you are saving money doing things yourself and project managing - I have seen (several times) people who think they can do it, not understand the process and cost themselves more time/money by the time completion comes around.

As an example a job that I got building reg approval for a year or so ago has just been "completed" the client didn't want to pay for me to visit the site every couple of weeks and discuss issues with the builder, trusting the builder would just get on with it... unfortunately they changed a few things with the layout and now their bathroom doesn't comply with regs and there is an issue with the location of the septic tank - these are going to cost a lot more to rectify than my fee for site visits and the client is now asking us to again deal with the regulation side of things on an hourly rate basis!

FTM

FTM

Soldato
in the process of having an extension built of a similar size ..ours will be 4x4.5 on a gable end

we got a self employed architect

he charges 650 for plans and also deals direct with the council..so we just wrote him the cheques made out to the council for the various stages and he acts as agent on our behalf and deals with them directly

he also submitted copies of plans to 4 builders he used regularly and 2 of our choosing requesting estimates

in the end we went with one of his regulars who are a long standing local builders who can do a complete build including external fencing and decking as well as internal fitting out with a wall full of shelves for our mini library!

also means the builder knows how to read his plans and can contact him directly with any queries,its not a complicated build so we dont intend any changes

Soldato
Don't underestimate an architect, we used a local self employed guy for our loft re-conversion and he made several really good suggestions that we hadn't thought of he also did all the structural calcs for the steal work, managed the building regs process and was available for questions from the builder throughout. We found he service so useful he is currently doing another set of drawings for our side return extension.

As an aside use a third party for building regs and not the council it is a much smoother more professional process without the city hall jobsworths!

Associate
OP
Approximately how much should I put aside for architect fees? The build is a simple lean to with a couple of velux's, standard windows lintel'd over a sewer pipe.

The drainage from the sink in kitchen will have to be moved too.

Struggling to find a decent builder, I ask them things about building over the sewer and when to bring in building control and they don't really know.

Soldato
Get the build over notice sorted first and foremost. We got really stung by Severn Trent on this. You may need to get a CCTV drain survey. You can be doing this at the same time as the architects plans and informing building control, but I wouldn't start any work until everything is in place.

Associate
Struggling to find a decent builder, I ask them things about building over the sewer and when to bring in building control and they don't really know.
This is basic stuff so it's good you are avoiding the ones that don't know. Good builders are hard to find because generally they are booked up for months on end with work. Any neighbours/friends locally that have had work done and can be recommended? Word of mouth tends to be a lot better than yellow pages.
If you do get an architect on board then they sometimes have lists of builders they have worked with in the past.

Associate
OP
Okay, an update.

We have decided to ask a builder to build us a "shell".

I have a Plasterer, a decorator, a plumber and an electrician in the family, so this makes more sense to me.

We are yet to hire an architect to do the drawings as at present we would require the kitchen sink drain rerouted.

There is another foul drain a little further on, which the extension would not cover. Is it reasonable to think the current kitchen sink drain can be blocked up or covered, then the pipes from the sink routed to the other drain?

I am trying to anticipate a possible large cost on top of the build.

Associate
There is another foul drain a little further on, which the extension would not cover. Is it reasonable to think the current kitchen sink drain can be blocked up or covered, then the pipes from the sink routed to the other drain?

As suggested above get a proper cctv survey done first, are they connected what condition are they in? The pipe work could be cracked / broken, you build over, problem arises , up comes the floor = big bill.

And from welsh water (BOS) guidance notes

If you plan to build over, or within
3 metres of one of our sewer pipes or lateral drains, you’ll need to let us know – so that we can consider your proposal

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've got dynorod booked in for a survey, though this and the build over agreement is in relation to the sewer pipe itself. What about the sink drainage? How do I essentially remove this and use the alternative further down?

Am I overthinking? I just want to make sure the builders do as they are supposed to and I don't get Welsh water on my ass when it comes to inspection.

Associate
OP
I've got a local architect who is now handling the whole thing. It was all very much a hassle and I want to make sure I don't make mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom