Noobie and 1st gaming rig

Associate
Hi guys first post here,I have always been a console player and still have the Xbox and ps4 but I always looked into a gaming rig but never had the funds and the talking between you guys sound foreign to me,but now I have a little bit of money and I would like a gaming PC that will also do the basic stuff like streaming and browsing etc
Would love not to worry about playing games on max settings now and in the future and be upgradable and last a few years before I have to spend anything on it,
I have around £1600 but I haven't got anything like a mouse and keyboard but surely I could buy them cheaply,
I would need a monitor as I only have a 50 inch plasma tv so that's a no go,I would probably intend to buy the monitor at very catalogue as I can use the 12 month interest free option so if I get any change from the rig that could go to the monitor
So could you guys spec me a beast of a gaming rig with a bonus of leftover pennies lol

Soldato
someone will likely come along and spec better, but for now i thought id give it a shot, i chose the 390x over a 980ti for the simple fact is the 1080 is nearly out and until prices are known, figured you cant go too wrong with amd and be less regret than getting a 980ti, but if you did go for a 1080/1070 then you wouldnt really need 750w psu, just put that in for future proof.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,396.72
(includes shipping: £15.90)

Associate
OP
Hi guys thank you for your replies,
Regarding building it myself it sounds really daunting and I would be scared If I mess up etc,price wise it would save me some money and I would like to do it,
Regarding graphic cards I could wait a week or 2 max if that helps ?
Would it be possible to buy all the parts and buy the graphics card last ?
Or would it be sensible and cheaper to buy all of it together

Caporegime
I think all the gaming PCs that OcUK sells come with gfx cards, not sure if there is an option not to have one.

One of the shop staff has already mentioned previously that the new GTX1080 will be provided as an option for them.

Associate
OP
Wouldn't I need a 1440p monitor ? I no the price will keep rising as I would also need a Windows version as well,
Appreciate any help the more the better regarding speccing me a rig,
If you were in my situation would you buy a rig now or wait a week to see what happens about graphic cards
How hard is it to build your own ? Remember noobie here console gamer (lol)

Soldato

Total: £1,350.78
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Stylish ITX option, including 1440p gaming monitor. Note that the Gsync would only work with Nvidia cards, so bear that in mind when choosing a screen. i.e. Nvidia's Gsync or AMD's Freesync.

Free copy of DOOM with motherboard.

+ GTX 1070 when a decent model appears, for (hopefully) £350-400. Or maybe a 980Ti if prices drop below that.

Cheap keyboard + mouse to get you started.

Would it be possible to buy all the parts and buy the graphics card last ?
Or would it be sensible and cheaper to buy all of it together

Possible unless you go with X99 instead of Skylake (latter has integrated graphics). Easy enough to add a video card and plug in the power connectors. So no problem. Cheaper together? Not really, the only extra would be the bit of shipping when you buy the video card.

Associate
OP
Thank you so much all these specs are all foreign language to me lol,
So the only decision is the graphics card ?
1080 should be a lot more better than the 980ti for around £630 ?
1070 slightly better than the 980ti ?
But both will be the newer cards so would needn't need to upgrade anything for a couple of years ?

Soldato
there you have it, wait till 1080 comes out and get that and you dont technically need a 144hz monitor, thats really down to personal preference, i run a normal 60/75hz 1080 monitor and will continue to once i decide my 270x needs upgrading.

i didnt include an os as windows 10 is not what its all cracked up to be and limits you, but i am biased having win 10 on many computers before and generally getting windows 7 or 8.1 would be better, you still get the free upgrade to 10 which i find much better option, so you can revert back easier, granted if i brought a brand new prebuilt that had 10 then fine, just not by choice.

and what did i tell you about someone suggesting better ha

Associate
OP
So is danny75 specs better than yours exomale ?
So I should stay away from buying a 980ti if I'm gonna buy a gaming rig now ?
So I will be looking at + £630 for a 1080 on top of £1350.78
That's over budget lol,but that does include a monitor which I was gonna get from very catalogue
But theirs still uncertainly over what the new card can do and maybe if it's a noisy one (if that's what you gamers call it)

Last edited:
Soldato

Nah. Not necessarily. It's down to different options and which option you feel like going for. For example, you said you wanted a beast system but you didn't say if you'd like ITX, micro-ATX or ATX, so I specced you an ITX system as an option to consider among others. It can only fit one video card so you might decide nah, I want something that could run two cards in case I add another at some point. Etc etc.

You can get a cheaper ATX system with a cheaper case, cheaper motherboard, with a PSU that can run two cards. This is something you could decide on and tell us, so we can start narrowing things down.

So I should stay away from buying a 980ti if I'm gonna buy a gaming rig now ?

Definitely don't buy any card yet. The 980Ti could drop £150-200 in price within the next couple of weeks. And there's the 1070 and 1080 to consider.

But theirs still uncertainly over what the new card can do and maybe if it's a noisy one (if that's what you gamers call it)

Don't buy a Founder's Edition card. Have a look at the other models when they appear.

Associate
OP
Thanks danny75
So the smart idea here is for me to wait acouple of weeks and buy everything then ?
Case wise: I have been told to get a atx for more room for upgradable options in the future plus I'm not bothered how big it is (should save some pennies)

Not being joey Essex but where's the part where you put discs into ? (Noobie here)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks danny75
So the smart idea here is for me to wait acouple of weeks and buy everything then ?
Case wise: I have been told to get a atx for more room for upgradable options in the future plus I'm not bothered how big it is (should save some pennies)

Not being joey Essex but where's the part where you put discs into ? (Noobie here)

A lot of cases don't have space for a disc drive, as most things are now digital download (Games, Films etc).

Do you still have things on disc that you want to use ?

Associate
OP
No bud I haven't got any thing on disc game wise plus I forgot I have a external disc drive lying about for stuff that needs a installation disc so no I wouldn't need one,
Didn't no PC games were mostly digital only heard of steam lol
I would probably need a atx case as it will be more future proof for me so I'm not to bothered regarding how big it is,
I have heard the 1080 partners probably wouldn't be out for another 6 to 8 weeks so if I bought now it would have to be a 980ti wouldn't it ?
If anyone of you kind guys spec me a gaming rig with a atx case and probably a 980ti I would be very grateful
Would ideally like it under budget as I would have to buy a monitor on interest free 12 month option from very catalogue

Soldato

as danny said, not entirely, he specced up a itx build and chose a different processor and other components, there probably wouldnt really be a lot between the 2 systems if they were tested in reality.

if you go ATX then you can get better kit to some extent and a lot of the top end stuff seems to be based round that size board.

Soldato
just get this and adapt to it when you need to ;)

• 1 x Titan Dark Zone - Gaming PC For The Division - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz, GTX 980Ti 6GB = £1,596.02
    • Memory:Team Group Elite 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (TPKD416GM2400HC16D
    • Primary Drive:Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (SHFS37A/240G)
    • Secondary Drive:Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST1000DM003)
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Security Software:ESET Smart Security - Trial Key
    • Warranty:OcUK Standard System Warranty - 3 Year (24 Month C&R + 12 Month Labour)
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days

Total: £1,610.12
(includes shipping: £14.10)

Back
Top Bottom