Peanut butter Onigiri

Associate
I want to make a particular onigiri that I had at an asian restaurant. It is basically filled with peanut butter and covered with sesame seeds. So far, simple enough. However, the ball is topped with a blob of peanut butter and then a spot of a white sauce.

My question, assuming this kind of rice ball is common, is what is that white sauce on top meant to be? It didn't taste particularly sweet, nor vinegary, so I want to discard cream, mayo, salad cream, sour cream and ali-oli. But what else could it be?

Thanks in advance :)

Associate
OP
I have no idea what you're on about, however it sounds interesting and I want to try it.

Onigiri are balls or triangles of sticky rice (the kind used for sushi) filled with anything from peanut butter to tuna mayo to fish, and usually wrapped in nori (seaweed) or decorated with sesame seeds.

They could be called the japanese equivalent of a sandwich, where the rice is the bread and the inside is any number of ingredients.

Soldato
My question, assuming this kind of rice ball is common, is what is that white sauce on top meant to be?

I suspect I know what you're referring to, and if so, I believe that it's Japanese mayonnaise. It has a very mild flavour compared to Western mayonnaise and is often used drizzled on (for example) salmon nigiri.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom