Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Personally I'd switch the bike on when you get on it and ride away straight away. There's no reason to let it sit warming up for 2 minutes, unless it's -3 degrees, then it might need 30 seconds to get going.

On my carbed bike it's full choke to start, then off full choke a few seconds after starting, ride away and choke all the way in half a mile down the road (or when I remember :p).

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Waste of money, get a decent one for half that price.

You think so? I'll try them on at home, if I don't like them I'll give them back.

Edit: Where can I get a decent Dainese 2 piece for £304.50? Show me, I'll buy two straight away :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Almost got taken out. I barely reacted as well, slightly worn down from a long day at work, it shows how close you can come if you're not 100% focused.

It was at no fault of mine, just almost a "Sorry i didn't see you" moment.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
It happens, especially on roundabouts during rush hours. A guy pulled in front of me in a Range Rover, he saw me the last minute and accelerated... that pile of black smoke behind him was funny lol. :p I wasn't going quick and by his behaviour I knew he was going to do something dodgy. Sometimes I just prefer to slow down a bit more and observe the car... people do stupid ****.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I get the bike out, switch it on, close the gates behind me, lock the door and then get on and go, all within 2 minutes. Not a bad thing is it?

I try to be uber neighbour & the last thing I do is start the bike, I am sat on the bike ready to pull off the back yard then start it ride down the jitty & off up the road & away. This bikes not noisy at all compared to previous bikes but I still keep the noise down to a minimal then when I'm working on the bikes & having a rev I don't feel as bad.
As far as for the good of the engine though you are s'posed to just start it up on choke then back it off choke until it ticks over nice then ride off taking it easy for a couple of miles gradually building up to having a properly warmed up engine/bike by around 6 miles. Once warmed up & fully off the choke you should take it up high in the revs a few times to clear it's throat.

The theory behind it is An engine shouldn't be left to tick over on choke as the enriched mixture will soot up the plugs & generally coke up the engine. :)

Soldato
I'm glad your still with us

Cheers. I would've still been here, just really ****** off and bruised :p

It happens, especially on roundabouts during rush hours. A guy pulled in front of me in a Range Rover, he saw me the last minute and accelerated... that pile of black smoke behind him was funny lol. :p I wasn't going quick and by his behaviour I knew he was going to do something dodgy. Sometimes I just prefer to slow down a bit more and observe the car... people do stupid ****.

Indeed. I just wasn't expecting it at all as I was plenty visible and they waited for a car and bike go by then just pulled out in front of me, blind as a bat clearly!

Years of being on the road has taught me to learn driver's attitudes and how they place themselves to get a 6th sense as such, but there's always something that you don't expect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep...Idiot.

I think I have a sticking needle in carb. Idle once off full choke for a min is 1.5K revs. however 5 mins down the road it will sit at 2K revs..but if left for a bit it will come down to 1.5K revs.

I don't really want to open up the carbs if I can help it. Can anyone recommend any fuel additives that might help?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I don't think you weren't awake, otherwise you wouldn't reacted so quickly and did the swerve. Going back to the video, it looks like you had more time, but you don't just look at one thing whilst riding. You concentrate on your surroundings, if you weren't awake you of got taken down. Stuff like that happens, its good that she pulled out slower, some seem to slam the accelerator...

Man of Honour
Yep...Idiot.

I think I have a sticking needle in carb. Idle once off full choke for a min is 1.5K revs. however 5 mins down the road it will sit at 2K revs..but if left for a bit it will come down to 1.5K revs.

I don't really want to open up the carbs if I can help it. Can anyone recommend any fuel additives that might help?

Redex in about double the recommended dose seems to crop up as useful for dealing with carbs that aren't too caked in crap.

Last edited:
Soldato
In that situation I would have been right over to the central white line when passing them, even parked cars with their wheels angled like that I give a wide berth to! But as you say, it's easy to zone out after a long day at work, especially if you're stuck trundling along behind traffic.

You probably merged in with the cyclist a little bit, when they checked their mirror they would have seen a cyclist and you'd have been in line with them, behind.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I come back from a ride around an hour ago, I noticed my left indicator in my integrated tail light is not working how it should... I wonder if its the wiring or somthing inside the headlight ****** **.

Associate
I come back from a ride around an hour ago, I noticed my left indicator in my integrated tail light is not working how it should... I wonder if its the wiring or somthing inside the headlight ****** **.

Did you change the relay? When I was changing the lights on my CBR from bulb to LED I tried the standard relay (as an experiment) and it did the exact same thing, it didn't hyper flash but did the same as yours.

I brought a different relay along with the LED indicators and followed wiring diagram (had to modify wiring loom) and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I changed the rely, I don't think that's it. It's a cheap Chinese tail light bought for 18 quid off ebay. :p Was yours a integrated tail light too, or did you have separate indicators?

A quick snap from video of the ride with my mate.
jqjAxDz.jpg

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I'll think about it tomorrow, time for some breaking bad in bed. I'm tired, been riding most of the day in this crappy weather. :p Maybe magically tomorrow it'll work? :p haha I wish.

Soldato
Argh. Am I being paranoid!? I think not.

Stepped out to hop on my bike this morning and noticed a blue civic was ridiculously close to it. Close enough that throwing my leg over was tricky to not hit their car.

Took my disk lock off my bike and something looked odd. Took me a few seconds but I then noticed that I was missing the crash protector on the opposite side which they were parked on.

At first I thought perhaps it's just fallen off or that a yob tried to steal it by twisting it. I tried to pull the other one off but you'd need the strength of he-man to get it to budge. Then when I knelt down I noticed it had been sheared off as some of the fixing remained in the bike.

Didn't have time to leave a note but now I'm seething and 99.9% sure they knocked it over. Do these things ever just 'break'?

Back
Top Bottom