• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

Associate
Looks like my 2500k is dead... 4 days of use, now it doesn't even make it into windows without locking up...
locks up on windows load up. Windows repair locks up.
Tried to use another HD and install windows on that. Locks up...
Looks like these might be duff, another guy with a d2 stepping 2500k had his die...
Any ideas on a way to test with only around 30sec before lockup when started?
Trying to underclock now...

Last edited:
Soldato
What speeds and voltages were you orginaly using? It's unusual for a cpu to die.

sandy bridge too small bridge for oc. very bad news sandy only after 2 days they are dying as rats

You should become a tabloid editor. You can make big bucks stirring up hysteria over nothing.

Associate
OP
running at 26 degrees on full load when I booted it at 16multi. No prob on the temps...
was running a Vcore within the spec, well within the spec, rolled it back today after hearing someones died. 1.080v when at 16multi (as per Vid)...
ok managed to boot it @ stock 3.3 ghz but even though turbo is allegedly on. Under prime95 its stuck at 3.3ghz so no turbo...
Wont boot if I set turbo to enabled (not auto - where it is apparently shut off)...
Trying individual cores as suggested...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
single core - boots @ 3.3 as before, turbo enabled - wont boot, turbo set to auto boots to windows no turbo on prime...
continuing to try cores... Also will try upping TDP limit (from auto to 95w in bios).

Soldato
As far as I'm aware intel is none the wiser. Though posting on ocuk if you bought it from here is rather stupid. Though I think it would be rather mean of ocuk to refuse an rma based on the suspicion of overclocking when their name is overclockers.

Associate
managed to get it to boot @ 1.6Ghz the lowest multi setting... Intel diagnostic turns nothing up... aside from stating it is running at 1.6ghz...

It's strange that the Intel Diagnostic did not report an error. Mine, as I'm sure you have seen from my post, failed and the Diagnostic reported IMC at fault.

Just so you chaps are aware. Do not OC with bclk at all. This will kill the chips and the onboard parts such as USB, sound etc.

Andrew, I don't understand this statement. The motherboards have bclk adjustment and my Asus by default will use 100.3 (i.e. above the 100 stock) and will increase it more if I use the Asus Auto Over-clocking tool. If this causes the motherboard parts to fail then there is something wrong.

I have to say, after my 2500K failed yesterday, I have been taking a good look at the motherboard bios and am quite alarmed with the voltage ranges that are available.
My Asus will push 1.990v Vcore which is insane. Of more concern was that there is a switch to say 'Overvoltage' or 'Manual', now if you thought you had 'manual' selected and typed in 1.3v into vcore, but actually had 'Overvoltage' selected, it would actually apply 1.990 i.e. maxed out (showing something like 0.69 as the value its going to use), it does not say... that's too high, it just sets it to the highest it can.

I have a nasty feeling that there are going to be a lot of 'Blown' chips to add to the few that seem to be failing because the motherboard Bioses are just too open and are too easy to over volt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom