Windows 7 desktop gadgets disappearing

Soldato
So i had CPU usage, web monitor, top cpu process and top memory process gadgets on my desktop.

A few days ago the CPU one vanished, today the web usage one did. If i right click on the desktop and select gadgets nothing happens, no menu or anything. If i go to gadgets in the control panel none of the options work except 'get more gadgets online'

What do?

Soldato
So i had CPU usage, web monitor, top cpu process and top memory process gadgets on my desktop.

A few days ago the CPU one vanished, today the web usage one did. If i right click on the desktop and select gadgets nothing happens, no menu or anything. If i go to gadgets in the control panel none of the options work except 'get more gadgets online'

What do?
Same. I switched off last night with clock, calendar and weather and this morning I switched on and they're gone?! When I right-click nothing happens :(

Is that it then, they're gone for good? Was it less than a coincidence that after a lot of Windows updates yesterday, my gadgets have disappeared?

Soldato
Ha, typical MS inconsistencies: my x64 Ultimate machine has no gadget functionality but my x32 Pro is fine :D

I'll have to wait till later to see if my x64 Home Premium box still has them...

Soldato
Hmm so it seems others are having missing gadgets in win 7 as well also that when you right click and click on gadgets nothing happens.

As well as it does seem coincidental that this happened when windows updated a ton of stuff yesterday or the day before. :(

Hope they come back i like my clock, weather, date widgets.

Soldato
Googled and i found a solution.

Hi Keith Gentle,
Welcome to Microsoft Answers!!!
1) What happens when you try to download the gadgets?
You may follow the steps below and see if it works fine.
Turn off and then turn on the feature again.
1) Click Start
2) Type in Windows Feature in the search bar
3) Select Turn on or off the Windows feature
4) Scroll down to see Windows Gadget Platform and uncheck the option
5) Reboot the computer and follow the steps 1, 2, 3 and check the Windows Gadget Platform option again in step 4.
6) Reboot the computer and see if it works fine.

Came from here.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-7/875b3361-bdc5-4b49-90b6-71d9a9ea5e76

What i did was turn of gadget platform, reboot, turn it back on, nothing happened when it turned on but when i right clicked on desktop and click on gadgets they came back.

Hope it helps. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Glad it worked for you too. Yeah i use a dual monitor setup so i stick the weather, clock and calender on my 2nd mon with email and stuff its nice to have it all there and keep my main clear for stuff.

Soldato
Lol.

Hmm, theres alternative gadget programs i think but im trying to remember what one is called that my mate uses, was thinking of moving to that stuff if windows is playing silly buggers now.

Soldato
I'm seeing lots of Windows 7 machines (should be checking the version but I'm not...) with their Gadgets still in tact :(

Typical that the machine I spend the most time on, x64 Ultimate, is the only one to suffer!

Caporegime
I'm seeing lots of Windows 7 machines (should be checking the version but I'm not...) with their Gadgets still in tact :(

Typical that the machine I spend the most time on, x64 Ultimate, is the only one to suffer!

X64 Pro here, still working fine though in fairness I only ever have the weather showing...

Back
Top Bottom