• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-7700K "Kaby Lake" SANDRA Scores Surface

Soldato
A new chipset for a speed bump. :rolleyes:

Someone with access to a Core i7-7700K "Kaby Lake" processor and an ASRock Z270-Extreme4 motherboard put the chip through SiSoft SANDRA 2015 CPU tests. Engineering sample or not, the clock speeds of the chip appear to check out with those of the lineup as we know it. The core ticks at 4.20 GHz, with a maximum Turbo Boost frequency of 4.50 GHz. You also get 8 MB of L3 cache, and HyperThreading. The benchmark confirms that Intel is working on a new platform refresh chipset, with the Z270 chipset succeeding the existing Z170. Existing LGA1151 could support the new chips, with BIOS updates.

https://www.techpowerup.com/225407/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-sandra-scores-surface

Soldato
I think the only interesting thing in sight from Intel is Coffee Lake for anyone on a fairly recent chip, maybe that will be my upgrade from a 5820k.

Yeah it is meant to be the first time Intel will do a 6 core at mainstream level, I'm looking forward to it however I have a upgrade itch and not sure if I will make it to 2018 onwards lol.

Soldato
So a 3% IPC increase, if that. Exactly as expected.

First time I've heard of Coffee Lake. Are they basically hedging their bets in case 10 nm Cannonlake doesn't work out?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm honestly not surprised anymore. I've totally lost interest in certain area's of modern computers and such where it feels like being drip fed and a reason to keep bumping up prices. Hype train can give it up already. Those who upgrade for upgrades sake will always do so, but the tech smart have taken note and offence.

Don
A new chipset for a speed bump. :rolleyes

Nothing new really - both 1155 and 1150 had a refresh chipset (Z68 -> Z77 and Z87 -> Z97). It's just another revenue stream for Intel.

So a 3% IPC increase, if that. Exactly as expected.

First time I've heard of Coffee Lake. Are they basically hedging their bets in case 10 nm Cannonlake doesn't work out?

I'm honestly not surprised anymore. I've totally lost interest in certain area's of modern computers and such where it feels like being drip fed and a reason to keep bumping up prices. Hype train can give it up already. Those who upgrade for upgrades sake will always do so, but the tech smart have taken note and offence.

I see what you did there :)

Caporegime
why when there is cpus a lot faster.

they were great cpus but come on so many make out there is no difference.there is big differences.

as for how cpus are now.we sort of at the limit we can do so there wont be no massive increase jumps until new ways are sorted out.

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour

they were great cpus but come on so many make out there is no difference.there is big differences.

as for how cpus are now.we sort of at the limit we can do so there wont be no massive increase jumps until new ways are sorted out.

Why go to the expense of upgrading from a perfectly good cpu that does what is thrown at it? Yes there are faster cpu's available but if it does the job asked of it then whay replace it. Better to wait for a cpu that actually gives a worthwhile upgrade.

Soldato

Depends what you use it for. Gaming improvements are questionable - some games will benefit, others won't. GPU is far more important these days. Video encoding benefits far more from having moar coars than minor IPC gains.

If you're buying a new rig anyway then obviously it makes sense to go Broadwell-E or Skylake but for a lot of people that already have systems, there isn't much reason to upgrade right now.

Back
Top Bottom