**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Soldato
^The thing is strange. Today I have been using the phone the same as any other day and no sign of Mediaserver. I don't know what is going on.

I've factory reset twice even cleared Dalvik cache a few times and the phone still behaves erratically.

Such a shame as the hardware is suoerb but software is hit and miss. I might just jump ship back to the HTC 10. Although the 10 didn't do anything special it just worked without the hassle.

Associate
My wife has just got an S7 Edge (I want one!)

The top speaker where you hear calls... The piece of plastic protrudes at either end as you push it slightly. Is this normal or should it be fixed? Or, potentially, we're being stupid and it's a cover :|?

Soldato
My wife has just got an S7 Edge (I want one!)

The top speaker where you hear calls... The piece of plastic protrudes at either end as you push it slightly. Is this normal or should it be fixed? Or, potentially, we're being stupid and it's a cover :|?

Mine doesn't do that, can't remember there ever being anything covering it.

Associate
Had a Samsung S7 now for just under a week and found it to be head and shoulders in quality over the Sony Z3 Compact i've upgraded from. Camera is especially impressive, however last night left it on the side not charging it had 51%, this morning wake up to an impressive 4% and checking battery usage the dreaded Mediaserver has emerged!

I haven't got an SD card yet and the only media on there so far is a few photos, whatsapp & Chrome.

Instantly disabled Chrome and the battery drain appears to be behaving, bit disappointing as i've used Chrome for years. The Samsung browser is very quick to use though!

Last edited:
Associate
Where are you guys seeing that you are using Mediaserver? i can't say i've ever had any issue with massive battery drain when i'm not using the phone. What app makes mediaserver run?

Associate
Where are you guys seeing that you are using Mediaserver? i can't say i've ever had any issue with massive battery drain when i'm not using the phone. What app makes mediaserver run?

You can see it if you go into the battery usage stats, if you have the issue, then you'll see it near to, or at the top of the list...

Also you can see it run if you enable the CPU usage option from Developer Options. Again, its normally very near the top of the list. Sometimes when killing say Chrome (if its causing the usage), you can then see it disappear.

More info about mediaserver here:
http://www.techentice.com/fix-mediaserver-battery-drain-heating-problem-android/

I've no idea why Chrome seems to cause it though. Seemingly its a Samsung related issue.

On another note, I bought the official Samsung fast wireless charger. What a load of crap that was, you have to place it so precisely and even then it cuts out after seconds. Returned. Samsung stuff is still soooooo shoddy :rolleyes: The cheapo one (not fast charge compatible) works perfectly every time.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
^ What charger were you using with it? It doesn't cut out after seconds if you use the Samsung Adaptive charger, it only works properly with that as well. Any other charger will cut out.

If you want to fast wireless charge with any QC2.0 compatible charger, then get a Tronsmart Chocolate or equivalent.

I don’t have a Media Server issue, it does show up in battery usage some days, but it’s way down at the bottom of the list. I do move about media quite a lot via the mSD card, though, so I expect that.

I’m still on the July update, no BTU for August yet on SmartSwitch, or OTA.

I’ve updated Good Lock to the latest version too, which is still great. Other than that, the S7 edge has not let up once yet in performance. The camera is just sublime still also, I had used it more than my DSLR during the Scotland road trip last week even as the quality of photos were good enough to upload images to Instagram and the like without worry.

Associate
It's bizarre, i'm trying Chrome Beta so we'll see how that fares. I've cleaned out all the media cache as best I can see. Just going to have to keep an eye on it and figure out what causes mediaserver to throw it's toys out the pram.

Associate
^ What charger were you using with it? It doesn't cut out after seconds if you use the Samsung Adaptive charger, it only works properly with that as well. Any other charger will cut out.

If you want to fast wireless charge with any QC2.0 compatible charger, then get a Tronsmart Chocolate or equivalent.

I don’t have a Media Server issue, it does show up in battery usage some days, but it’s way down at the bottom of the list. I do move about media quite a lot via the mSD card, though, so I expect that.

I’m still on the July update, no BTU for August yet on SmartSwitch, or OTA.

I’ve updated Good Lock to the latest version too, which is still great. Other than that, the S7 edge has not let up once yet in performance. The camera is just sublime still also, I had used it more than my DSLR during the Scotland road trip last week even as the quality of photos were good enough to upload images to Instagram and the like without worry.

It was this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012NNR0C2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't realise it was so choosy about what charger it would use, but it was the fast charger I've used on my HTC One M8, Sony Z3 and even this S7... surely if it was that picky it should come with a charger, it wasn't exactly cheap.

I did see a reddit thread and other threads where people were having the same issue. It's on its way back anyway. Even had it worked properly, it was a bit fiddly to use compared to the one I already had (which works perfectly with my charger).

I've ordered another non-Samsung fast wireless charger which was just over half the price and I'm willing to bet will work far better.

I have to say though, after a long spell away from Samsungs, it's disappointing to see that they STILL have quality control issues, whether it be the software on the phone (TouchJiz) or chargers that don't work. EVERYTHING I seem to buy from Samsung other than monitors or TVs seems to have issues. As such, I still like the Edge, but not as much as I should.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
With Samsung fast wireless chargers you must use the Samsung adaptive charger with them. They simply will not fast charge properly with anything else! I covered this in my review of them a while back. Link was posted in this thread.

The Wireless fast chargers do come with chargers, but not in Europe. The Americans get a better deal than us as does Japan. They get better packaging and more accessories bundled. I have both fast wireless chargers, the stand and the base (the one you have), the stand was sent to me from the USA, it's fancy and comes with adaptive fast charger.

The UK one comes in a cheap plastic pack, and no charger or cable. Load of balls if you ask me.

Other than the wireless chargers from Samsung only working with Samsung wall chargers, everything else is spot on in my experience. I have a vast collection of third party accessories I've used with the S7 so far, and everything works as expected.

Associate
I got my S7 wet a few days ago when I used it in a swimming pool. As usual it didn't charge for a few hours using the USB port but even now it will only charge very slowly. Fast charging does not work apart from wirelessly. I've installed Ampere and it shows about 400mA while charging which isn't even normal non-fast charging rates. Any suggestions how I can fix it?

Soldato
I got my S7 wet a few days ago when I used it in a swimming pool. As usual it didn't charge for a few hours using the USB port but even now it will only charge very slowly. Fast charging does not work apart from wirelessly. I've installed Ampere and it shows about 400mA while charging which isn't even normal non-fast charging rates. Any suggestions how I can fix it?

It's posts like this that worry me. It's supposed to be water resistant (not proof, I know) and I'm constantly seeing posts where people say they got it wet and x doesn't work or y doesn't do what it used to.

Bit of a worry.

Associate
With Samsung fast wireless chargers you must use the Samsung adaptive charger with them. They simply will not fast charge properly with anything else! I covered this in my review of them a while back. Link was posted in this thread.

The Wireless fast chargers do come with chargers, but not in Europe. The Americans get a better deal than us as does Japan. They get better packaging and more accessories bundled. I have both fast wireless chargers, the stand and the base (the one you have), the stand was sent to me from the USA, it's fancy and comes with adaptive fast charger.

The UK one comes in a cheap plastic pack, and no charger or cable. Load of balls if you ask me.

Other than the wireless chargers from Samsung only working with Samsung wall chargers, everything else is spot on in my experience. I have a vast collection of third party accessories I've used with the S7 so far, and everything works as expected.

Oh well, I'll take your word for that, I looked in the manual but I don't recall seeing anything about it *must* be used with a Samsung adaptive charger. It did actually charge for a few seconds (fast charge at that) but then stopped as soon as the screen went off.

Doesn't matter anyway, its on its way back, I'll just use the product that cost half the price and actually works with any charger, and doesn't need to be placed precisely to do so.

At best part of £30 including postage, I agree, what a rip-off.

It's posts like this that worry me. It's supposed to be water resistant (not proof, I know) and I'm constantly seeing posts where people say they got it wet and x doesn't work or y doesn't do what it used to.

Bit of a worry.

I don't take much notice of the water-proof claims, I treat all my "waterproof" phones as rain proof and thats about it. Especially when Samsung produce it ;) Seriously though, I heard similar tales about the Sony Z3 when I had that. Never found out...

Back
Top Bottom