Groom speach, short and sweet.

Associate
im flapping people! OCUK may help me asap, tom the big day anyone send me some of there templates as i dont wanna sopund like a speech off google ha:mad: cheers and sorry for reviving the thread.

Soldato
Just take one of the above formats people have put above your post op, and just keep it on a bit of paper next to you so you don't forget. Don't overthink it dude, it's your day and as someone quite rightly said they want you to do well, after all it's your loved ones and closest friends in attendance, you needn't get nervous around them :)

Soldato
Right, couple of key things

- there are plenty of guides online as to the key things you are expected to cover.

- Short is fine. Mine was about a page. No more than a couple of minutes. Long speeches are boring.

- take your time. There is no rush. Imagine you are telling a story to a young child who is hard of hearing. Slow, calm pace.

- enjoy it. Don't get yourself into a state. People want to be there with you. All gags get a laugh, and people love it if you say things like 'my wife and I'

Soldato
I stood up, made something up, thanked everyone, said how beautiful my wife looked and sat down. Then stood up, thanked the bridesmaids as well because I missed them and sat down.

At the end of the day, what you are not doing is public speaking. You're having a chat with your family and friends like you would down the pub.

If you don't want to write an actual speech as I've seen many people bury their heads in them then I would suggest bullet points. Thank mums. Thank bridesmaids. Wife is beautiful. Thank the staff etc and just wing it on the day.

I did have one groom who couldn't speak in front of people due to a stutter, just getting through the vows took some time. So we got together and made a video speech and played it on the day via a large TV the staff wheeled in. Massive round of applause at the end, no stuttering as there were no nerves and he managed to throw a few pictures in too.

Soldato
Funny this thread popping up at this time as I am getting marrried on the 7th May. Not fussed about a speech as such, like the usual ones anyway. Basically once the 'day' people are all in the reception location (having a registry office ceremony and off to a hotel in town for the evening do) after the ceremony I will grab the mike and basically thank everyone who has helped make this day happen, thanks for coming to celebrate with us, enjoy the rest of the evening before the rabble 'evening guests' arrive :p. Gifts to whoever gets them will be on the quiet at one side after the speech as a few people may not like the center of attention thing.

Not got a best man, come to think of it got no family coming either so really its a case of thanking my new wifes family. The first dance we are getting out of the way pretty much when we get to the hotel., before I get smashed :) We have chosen Heres to us by halestorm.:)

Back
Top Bottom