Possible lockdown of iPlayer

Man of Honour
Happy to see it tied down but only if tied down to the actual license number. But knowing the BBC they'll waste millions on getting it implemented so it might not be such a good idea after all.

Soldato
Given how long it's taken them to begin to roll out HTML5 i'd expect this around 2040.

Also, why not just roll TV licencing into tax now? It's just so much easier.

Commissario
Could you not just "borrow" someone's licence? I think it will be quite hard to police and enforce.

That's my thought.

People already share things like forum log ins (which has always struck me as strange, especially if the forum is free), Netflix etc with friends.

All it will do is cost more money in running call centres to help people who can't remember their log in credentials and can't work their way around the reset system.

Soldato
I'm quite lucky, where I work we have a video system part of which is a feature whereby I can search through a huge amount of the BBC catalogue and it's planned to have pretty much all BBC output from 1950 onwards available, so there's obviously at some point in time plans for the whole BBC back catalogue to be available digitally so it could potentially be something that could be made available to subscribers...

Commissario
I'm quite lucky, where I work we have a video system part of which is a feature whereby I can search through a huge amount of the BBC catalogue and it's planned to have pretty much all BBC output from 1950 onwards available, so there's obviously at some point in time plans for the whole BBC back catalogue to be available digitally so it could potentially be something that could be made available to subscribers...

That sounds like it's possibly for distributors looking to licence the content and finding clips from the archive rather than for the BBC themselves to make directly available to subscribers :) (IIRC they've got a system for that purpose).

But unfortunately that is a long way off them having the legal ability to actually make the content available to the public themselves (if for no other reason than the cost of them sorting out the fees payable), as it's one thing for them to have digital versions available in house or to be viewed as a "catalogue" for distributors/sales to other broadcasters but completely another for them to have the ability to distribute them in any complete format to the general public (as opposed to say a 30 second clip in a news item or documentary).

Back
Top Bottom