Groom speach, short and sweet.

Associate
Hi guys im getting married in two weeks and have put doing my speech off untill now. This is not due to lazyness but pure fear! Im a very confident individual untill it comes to public speaking, i literaly fall apart. I was a best man once and completely ruined my speach and stood there like a simple minded fool! Im coming to ask what the very basic things are i need to cover within the groom speach? I tryed googles wisdom and got moronic 20/30 min videos of guys driviling on :\ I just want mine to last 2/4min and get what needs to be said, said so i can sit back down and feel comfortable.

Cheers guys

Caporegime
Don't worry too much, I got married at Xmas and wrote it the night before between rounds of battlefield with the best man an a few beers.

I went with short and sweet, quick story on how we met, thanked her parents, thanks the best man an ushers and then a few nice words about the other half and the future. Job done.

Man of Honour
My dad's was literally just a quick thanks to all the people involved and to everyone for coming then he sat down. Doesn't get much shorter or sweeter than that.

Associate
Best man is a nightmare.. you need to try and be funny!
Groom is easy, as said above just stand up and thank everyone and praise the wife and sit down again! It will be a lot easier because it's your wedding and you will actually know everyone as opposed to best man when you only know a handful of people :(

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responces, im likeing your dads approch tom think i'll go with that and throw in a little caption of how we met and that she looks buff in a dress n sit down lol :)

Fair point showboat never actually took the time to think of it that way :p

Associate
Just thought ofg a quick jokey thing, probably not original.

Turn to groom and say.

"Dave (or whatever his name is) thank you for doing such a good job but you are clearly not the best man as the best man is clearly the one chosen by this beautiful woman (point to your bride) because she deserves the best.

Permabanned

Turn to groom and say.

"Dave (or whatever his name is) thank you for doing such a good job but you are clearly not the best man as the best man is clearly the one chosen by this beautiful woman (point to your bride) because she deserves the best.
13301618.jpg

Associate

Turn to groom and say.

Word of advice, don't ever volunteer to be a best man ... ;)

Soldato
It's easy! Mine went along these lines :

Made a joke about the Father in law who had just finished his speech
Thanks to everyone for coming, mentioned ones that had travelled from Europe etc
Raised a toast to a couple of special people who had recently died
Thanked the in laws for welcoming me into the family > got them up to collect gifts
Thanked my parents and my younger brother and sister > got them up to collect gifts
Thanked bridesmaids > got them up to collect gifts
Thanked Ushers > got them up to collect gifts
Thanked Best men > got them up to collect gifts
Said a few sentances about my wife
Then handed over to the Best man speech while getting an early dig in on them before they tore me apart with their speech.

EDIT : Try to break it up with giving the gifts out as it makes a nice break from talking all the time.

Soldato
My breakdown from my wedding in April was as below! Obviously you need to thank each set and maybe say a few words. Dont try too hard to be entertaining or funny because itll show, you just need to speak from the heart because people will enjoy it no matter what.

Thank Father of the Bride for speech/words
- Refer to wife
Thank Guests for coming
Thank Brides Parents
Thank Parents
Present Mothers with flowers/Fathers with gifts
Thank Best Man
Thank Usher (short)
- Best Man and Usher Presents
Talk about Wife and Thank her
Thank Bridesmaids and give presents, then toast bridesmaids
Handover to best man

Done

Soldato
I was at my auntie's wedding at the weekend and her husband gave a funny touch to his speech:

in every groom speech ever, when referring to the wife, they take the chance to complement her (and rightly so!).. He mixed it up a little and each time he came to refer to the bride, he'd stop and reference the paper in his hand and read it out: "my.. [looks at and points at paper].. 'beautiful wife'".

Got a good few laughs!

Soldato
Best man is a nightmare.. you need to try and be funny!
Groom is easy, as said above just stand up and thank everyone and praise the wife and sit down again!(

Quoted for the truth it is - having done both best man (twice) and groom (once) speeches I can assure you that your part in the speech is nothing at all to worry about. The only thing I'd suggest is look around at the faces and try not to address one particular individual as your speaking which will give the impression that you're (quite rightly) addressing the entire room.

It's basically a case of thanking everyone for coming, comment on how lovely the the bride and bridesmaids look and I fitted in a little part to my new father in law thanking him for granting me the hand of his daughter in marriage and welcoming me into the family. By all means have a couple of drinks before you make your speech (I did) there's nothing wrong with a little Dutch courage but don't go over the top and get tipsy or you're going to look like an idiot. Like you said in your thread title OP - keep it short and sweet and trying to relax :D

Oh and best of luck for the big day :)

Back
Top Bottom