Mum who couldn't afford Christmas gifts for her kids wins £1million on a scratchcard

Associate
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ifts-children-wins-1million-scratchcard.html#

Am I the only one who doesn't find this a wonderful tale of Christmas joy?

I think on the whole I'm pretty optimistic, but when I read stuff like that I just think... what was a woman on the brink of poverty doing spending the last bit of her money on gambling? Sure, she was lucky to win and well done to her.

Maybe I just have an image of the type of people who buy scratch cards, and maybe a 41 year old woman nearly out of money with 4 kids to feed who spends it on chance fits that image. Something about the story reeks of having to justify itself though. "It was the last of her money" "She stopped playing the lottery" "It was a one off" etc etc. I’d hazard a guess she spends her weekdays at Amusement throwing nuggets into slot machines, but that’s probably too far judged.

Some people don't understand how far £5 goes. Easily a meal for her and her 4 kids. Ugh, priorities. I wouldn’t mind it if the story wasn’t trying to sugar coat itself. Am I just being a scrooge or do other people see this?

Associate
I agree Sawell, she is probably a bit of a gambler.

I'll bet she'll blow that money in no time, probably end up bankrupt with debt. her poor kids will be messed up from people scrounging and hangers on.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and she's smart and invests it intelligently but what are the chances.

Associate
OP
Hope is held in high regard to people in this kind of situation, hope plays a big part of their daily lives.

True, I wonder though what kind of impact an event like this has on an individual filled with hope and faith. It would surely just fuel or cement their supposed ideal of hope.

I would think one of the worst positions to be in is that of a gambler who actually gets a big win. It surely just promotes your own hope’s theoretical indestructibility.

This woman will now for all we know consciously or not be under the perception that her hope will save her in times of turmoil, logical reasoning says she just happened to be in the right shop at the right time with the right money, her reasoning tells her that the card was meant for her and that it’s a sign that she can escape from hardship by believing that something or someone will save her.

Doesn’t bode well for her and the money, but who knows... maybe she’s got enough of it that problems will never crop up. Then again, maybe she starts to think that she’s one in a million and gambles even more.

Associate
OP
"A world without hope is a world without a future."

Very true. But there’s surely a difference between generalist “hope” and hoping that your last bit of money, which could be used wisely, doubles, triples or multiplies by 200,000.

I hope I have a good future, sure. But I guess I see it as blind hope. There’s hope that’s good for you, guides you, aids you and keeps you positive. Then there’s the kind of hope that if it falls over you have to explain why your kids don’t have food today.

Soldato
Typical to have a go at this person. If labour turning all of you into morbid old geeks. Come on some people like to gamble, some like to drink, some like to smoke, some like to take drugs, etc.... of all those probably spending a few quid on lottery tickets each week is the best option.

Soldato
not knowing a single thing about the woman or her family , you people have deemed her to be a some sort of scum of society, if it was a person who was fairly well off in the first place who won the money, you would all be saying things like " good for him, " etc.

i am very happy for her and her family.

Back
Top Bottom