Car Locks Broken - Mk3 Golf - What to do?

Associate
As I went to lock the car last night, all was well until i tried to turn the key in the drivers side door, there was no resistance and a little clunking noise... I go to take the key out, and out comes the barrel on the end of it! :(

Now the same thing also happened to the passenger side a few months back but I thought being as the central locking is working fine that I could just use the drivers side door, now I'm stuffed!

Are there are companies out there who would be able to come and help me out, or should I maybe go to a scrap yard and see if they have any locks they can fit for me. I dont really want to spend too much money being as I plan to get rid of the car in the not-too-distant future and the car is worth relatively little anyway.

Cheers!

k3v

k3v

Associate
does it look like the barrel ha broke? iirc it could be the fastener that has broke? I woukd just see if u can replace the ones that are broke, not ignition, boots etc.
I would not let a salvage yard touch my car old banger or not.

going off topic but you may be able to fit rear hanldles I.e. to delock the front doors, then get the addon remote central locikn module cheapish.

k3v

k3v

Associate
im struggling to remember if it was my mk2 golf or mk3 golf that i had the lokks out. One of them certainly was held in with circlips. I would go to the dealers and ask them. They will probably not cost much to buy. the locks are part of the hadle arent they? the handles come off easy enough.

Associate
OP
Cheers. It's unfortunately a bit late now, i've bitten the bullet and taken it to the breakers for them to 'fix'.

Couldnt risk leaving it unlocked in my part of birmingham overnight being as last saturday some kind gentlemen relieved me of 2 windows and my car stereo...

Soldato
the door handle is connected to the lock by a metal rod. the door handle is removable with one torx bolt

the handle mech comes out in one go, you replace the rod (£1 each from ecp) and youre done

Back
Top Bottom