Dual SSD is it worth it?

Associate
Hi guys, I have seen mention of dual storage devices, a 250GB used for windows installation and a mechanical drive to store data.
Is it worth doing this with 2 SSD, a 250GB and a 500GB SSD?
Or will a single 500GB SSD be ok?

I use 2 SSDs and 1 HDD in my main PC, the HDD for storage, the bigger SSD for games and the smaller SSD for Windows/Apps.

You would probably be ok with a single 500GB SSD however, depending on the number of games and how big they are that you want to install?

Associate
Two drives are useful if you regularly process big files e.g unzipping multi-gigabyte files or batch processing video.

SSDs are so cheap (careful of the really cheap TLC drives) then having two it not really a luxury any more.

Associate
OP
I really am at a loss when it comes to Connected SSD drives, would I use the 250GB for Windows and the 500GB for steam? I also have a 500GB external mechanical drive for storing PS and Zbrush files.

Soldato
It's not that complicated really :)

Anything you want to load quick like windows, games and programs go on your SSDs.
Everything else like general files, video/music etc go on your mechanical drives.

That's how I do it anyway.

Associate
Steam is quite tolerant to you moving entire game folders between drives if you tell it where they're going before you move them. I move my most frequently played games onto the spare room on my 256GB OS SSD and leave the rest on a spinner.

Associate
I had 2 SSDs in my laptop, both 250gb. Had all my OS and games on the main one and used the other as storage. I still had around 100gb free on the main SSD so switched out the 2nd and put in a bigger mech HDD for storage. If you are going to install a lot of big games then sure, 2 ssds is great but if not then its just go with 1 ssd and 1 mech drive.

Soldato
Hi guys, I have seen mention of dual storage devices, a 250GB used for windows installation and a mechanical drive to store data.
Is it worth doing this with 2 SSD, a 250GB and a 500GB SSD?
Or will a single 500GB SSD be ok?

Yeah its great m8, i've been using a 120gb 840pro for windows and 480gb storage drive for years, it means anytime ya mess up ya system drive you can just wipe it with no worries about losing stuff and just reinstall, which with a decent net connection and USB install takes no time nowadays.

Soldato
I have been almost getting off on speed lately.
Ever since I had my first Raptor, I have gone for speed. With SSDs in place now, all my PCs and Laptops have SSD to boot from, including my Linux machines... Hell, even my Server and my Media PC are also running from SSDs and they dont even truly benefit from one cos they are never switched off!

Even more ridiculous, is that I recently found this great little Dual SSD thingy that lets me use 2 mSata drives in one 2.5" and have them as either mirrored or striped RAID, and naturally, I went stripped of course.

The speed was fairly impressive and so in my main PC, I am using 2 of these devices, with 4 SSDs and each pair is RAIDed and then the 2 devices are now raided and the whole PC runs like a bloody bullet.

Total waste of time and money in truth, again because its only C: and I dont install anything to C: except for System tools like defragger, AntiVirus and such tools, but all other apps are D: and Media is E: and junk is F: and T: for my torrents is a 240 SSD.

And similarly, even when I have a basic setup, lets say a Laptop, then I trade in the DVD Drive for a HD caddy and I use an SSD for C: ( Or Root and a Swap in Linux ) and the normal HD for D: ( or /home ) and these systems get a ridiculously huge boost.

I think the biggest benefit however, is that should you EVER need to reinstall, all you need to do, is wipe C: and you're away!

Admittedly, I also point my Libraries to folders in the other drives too, so my videos, docs, pics etc, are all safe as houses.

Back
Top Bottom