CONSTANT problems with usb3 drives, Asus P8 Z77-V LX mob

Associate
so I have this ongoing issue with my usb 3 hdd's disconnecting or crashes my system when writing data to them,it will get half way through then bottom out. I have been into policies and enable write catching and better performance I have also been into device manager and unchecked the save power option on all hubs under power management, and still the problem exists! doesn't seem to matter what port they are plugged into either... i read somewhere about bios settings?? but to be honest this stuff is a bit beyond me... ive provided details of the bios setting, if anyone can help you would be more than appreciated as this is costing me time ,money and a lot of stress. Thanks

bios setting:
INTEL USB2.0 EHCI CONTROLLER - ENABLED
LEGACY USB SUPPORT - ENABLED
LEGACY USB3.0 SUPPORT - ENABLED
INTEL xHCI MODE - SMART AUTO
EHCI HAND-OFF - DISABLED

Soldato
To me your bios settings look fine - I have found in the past that unless the drive itself is faulty, it is normally drivers that are the issue. Have you got the latest chipset drivers for your board, and also usb 3 drivers?

Has this problem always been occurring or only recently? Did you change something on the system? Try this drive on another pc to see if it works ok to narrow down the possibilities. Let us know, and we can try and help further.

Mark

Associate
OP
Thanks Mark, its always done it far as I know, I have downloaded everything possible from the Asus support page... would the usb 3 drivers be an Asus download or a generic Microsoft thing?

Soldato
USB 3 or 3.1 still isn't anywhere near as stable as 2.0. your problem is likely power related, i had to tap into the 5v line on all of my 3.0 front panels and add supplementary power from the psu 5v to get most self powered 3.0 drives stable. I'm guessing the power consumption in 3.0 mode is that much more to push it over the edge and be starved of power.

Soldato
Thanks Mark, its always done it far as I know, I have downloaded everything possible from the Asus support page... would the usb 3 drivers be an Asus download or a generic Microsoft thing?

The USB 3 drivers should be on the Asus site for your board - try downloading and installing them - it may solve the problem, and if not we will have to think again.

Back
Top Bottom