Associate
I'm reinstalling my PC in the next couple of weeks / months

I currently have the following drives:

Samsung Evo 840 Pro - 512Gb
Samsung Evo 850 Evo - 1Tb
Western Digital Cav Black - 4Tb
Western Digital Blue? - 2Tb

I currently have:
I have just purchased a Rampage V Edition 10 and I want to move my OS to a NVMe M2 disk.

My question is how big do you think the M2 disk should be?

1Tb, 512Gb or 256Gb?
I assume I should be looking at the new Samsung SM961.

The other option would be an Intel 750 Series U.2 Drive @ 400Gb or 800Gb.

For those that want to do more reading:

Currently I have:

840 Pro - OS
850 Evo - FPS games & other games where loading times matter
Cav Black - Other games where loading times are less of an issue & movies (which aren't on my NAS)
Other spinning disk - Files \ music storage

I'm looking at transitioning to the following:

m2 - OS
840 Pro FPS
850 Evo Loading time
Cav black - No change
Spinning - No change / remove

Last edited:
Associate
Would you really notice any real-world speed difference over the ~£100 Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB? 2GB/s reads and 1.2GB/s writes really is mind-bendingly fast. It makes a fantastic OS drive with stacks of room to spare.

FYI: The rumours of throttling problems due to overheating are vastly exaggerated unless you have a pair of them and are in the habit of moving 50GB+ files between the two.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would you really notice any real-world speed difference over the ~£100 Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB? 2GB/s reads and 1.2GB/s writes really is mind-bendingly fast. It makes a fantastic OS drive with stacks of room to spare.

FYI: The rumours of throttling problems due to overheating are vastly exaggerated unless you have a pair of them and are in the habit of moving 50GB+ files between the two.

I don't get why the 950 is so much more than the 951 (other than the 951 is technically OEM).

The black PCB would be a nice to have however....

Back
Top Bottom