4TB Samsung SSDs Apparently Coming Soon

Last edited:
Associate
I'm starting to wonder if mechanical drives are going to get any bigger, seems like their development has ground to a halt in favour of SSDs now

Dont get me wrong I'm all in on SSDs in PC/tablet/laptops but for a NAS holding media files, home CCTV, iso files and such blazing performance isnt really all that important

Soldato
I'm starting to wonder if mechanical drives are going to get any bigger, seems like their development has ground to a halt in favour of SSDs now

Dont get me wrong I'm all in on SSDs in PC/tablet/laptops but for a NAS holding media files, home CCTV, iso files and such blazing performance isnt really all that important

Yes HDDs will get bigger for a while though it's more like 10-20% per platter for the next couple of technology changes.

There's an article on Anandtech that will explain what's going on behind the scenes at Seagate for example.

Soldato

You are of course correct, but think of size, heat, noise (and even power usage) aspects and SSD's suddenly become more appealing (when the price is right of course) for media servers.

By this time next year I would really hope to start replacing the 3TB drives in my media server with SSD's.

Edit - Corporate servers will be on hdd for quite some time I would have thought, but from a general household pov, I can see less and less reason to have hdd at all (in the very near future)

Soldato
There will eventually be SSDs with high capacity and low random access performance specifically designed to be cheap storage for media, as a replacement for HDDs.

I think by this time next year we will have multiple 4TB SSDs options below £350. Give it a couple of more years and we'll have them below £200.

Soldato
Yes HDDs will get bigger for a while though it's more like 10-20% per platter for the next couple of technology changes.

There's an article on Anandtech that will explain what's going on behind the scenes at Seagate for example.

Mech drives do not seem to have got any cheaper for a couple of years now, a full year ago i bought a wd 4tb external drive in the far east for cheaper than i could buy it in the uk, even with exchnage rates, and oddly, the uk price still isn't as low as i paid, and no doubt with brexit will go up again.
It just seems odd, they say they are getting bigger, but look for an 8tb drive, which have been out for a couple of years now, and avilability is limited, and prices are related by massive jumps in level of cost.

We didnt see the reductions i expected over time with mech hdd, and no i winder if we ever will.

Soldato
Edit - Corporate servers will be on hdd for quite some time I would have thought, but from a general household pov, I can see less and less reason to have hdd at all (in the very near future)

I have been womdering about this actually, raided ssds still miss trim do they? Or can some modern controllers now manage trim in raid running of ssds?
As given the cost if sas drives, which will be in most servers small and potentially medium not tech dependant busineses run, I can easily see ssd taking over.
Why go mechanical at all if you can get similar price costs of ssd over sas, as enterprise class drives are still silly money in comparison.

Soldato
From that review:

The one disappointment in the specifications for the 4TB 850 EVO is the write endurance rating, still the same 300TB total as the 2TB model. A warranty that expires after only 75 drive writes is concerning even if the total bytes written quantity has been reasonable in the past.

Associate
I have been womdering about this actually, raided ssds still miss trim do they? Or can some modern controllers now manage trim in raid running of ssds?
As given the cost if sas drives, which will be in most servers small and potentially medium not tech dependant busineses run, I can easily see ssd taking over.
Why go mechanical at all if you can get similar price costs of ssd over sas, as enterprise class drives are still silly money in comparison.

Yep our NetApp account manager and SE have been eagar to point out that their OnTAP 9 supports 15TB SSDs and that they already have the drives and are testing them in the top of the line 8080 AFF SAN, we have been able to buy a 24 disk shelf filled with 4TB SSDs for some time now (they quote 3.8TB).

Its a little out of my own price range personally. This is part of why I wonder about the demise of the mechanical drives, last I heard they had made and were testing 10TB drives but if its already been surpassed by SSD in capacity and they can make more money on SSD. Perhaps they will never hit the market.

Also I dont worry about heat on my NAS, its in the garage which stays dry and cool

Soldato
are getting bigger, but look for an 8tb drive, which have been out for a couple of years now, and avilability is limited, and prices are related by massive jumps in level of cost.

you are probably beyond the limit of majority of the populations requirements with a single 8tb drive though, so those prices are more likely to remain in enterprise pricing ranges.

Associate
perhaps yes, but as 4K media becomes more popular those requirements will change

also stuff being above the needs of the normal user has never been a reason to stop advancing before. new machines sell with 32gb of ram but thats way more than the needs of a normal user, its back to the old more is better marketecture

Back
Top Bottom