The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Nah not a problem I've had yet, although this time I did use natural yoghurt rather than Greek yoghurt

Using cream or creme fraiche avoids the issue all together, they don't split. It's when it's too high of a temp, it'll split. Just a heads up if you make it again.

It's nice finished with some toasted peanuts for some crunch/texture. Or use crunchy peanut butter.

Man of Honour
33o386a.jpg

Associate
Chilli

I made a paste using

onion, carrot, celery, cumin, coriander, fenugreek, cloves, fennel seeds, kashmiri chilli powder, a whole scotch bonnet, coriander leaves, lime zest, a whole dried kashmiri chilli, a bog standard red chilli, garlic cloves, ginger, red wine vinegar, tomato puree, water, rapeseed oil, salt, pepper, smoked paprika.

Fried it off for 10 minutes, fried the mince in a seperate pan to get some caremlization going, then tipped it in and cooked with a tin of chopped tomatoes, a little water and some beef stock.

Cooked it out for an hour, then finished with fresh lime juice and coriander.

I had it with some coconut rice and some yogurt

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/823/59b7.jpg[/IMG

It tasted amazing, next time I'll do it with a shin of beef.[/QUOTE]

Looks amazing, do you have a link to a recipe or is it of your own design? :)

Soldato
Looks amazing, do you have a link to a recipe or is it of your own design? :)

Cheers. I was just experimenting with what I had, I chucked everything in the food processor with the blade attachments and mixed everything to a fine paste. Sweated it off for 10 mins and then tipped in the mince. No recipe needed really.

Throw in what you have into the paste. Onion, celery, garlic, chilli (powder, whole or both), smoked paprika, cumin, coriander and salt and pepper are what I would say is essential.

Sweat it off, tip in the mince (500g pack) (feel free to fry it off in a seperate pan for colour or make a well in the centre and crank the heat up) then in with a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, and top up with beef stock to just cover. Once it's reduced down and quite thick, check for seasoning, finish with fresh coriander and lime juice.

Job done.

Caporegime
I'm going to make these... Or I might just buy a crunchy!

Probably both, and I'll compare.

This is what I do

Step 1 – cold dry saucepan, put in 100g of caster sugar per 3 tablespoon of golden syrup (the online recipe I found asks for 4 but I found that was too much)

Still cold, mix it up.

Step 2 – put on low heat and let it melt in the pan, stir occasionally with a wooden spoon, heat until it is 149c degree (or judging by eye, when it goes brown and bubbles)

step 3 – put in 2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (measure this out beforehand and put to the side), then WHISK a few times quickly

Step 4 – get ready a baking tray lined with non-stick grease proof paper, and pour in the stuff quickly. Then do not touch, you can put it in the fridge to set but don't knock it. It is HOT and you don't want to knock the air out.

Step 5 – 20 min later when it is set, melt chocolate over a bowl of water in a pan, break apart the crunchy, dip pieces into the melted chocolate and put on grease proof paper and back into the fridge to set.

• The hardest part is getting the sugar and syrup hot enough as it needs to reach a certain temperature for it to break down. It's all about chemistry, if it's too low (under 149c you won't get that crunch, instead you get chewy toffee like thing). Too much syrup will do the same thing, but no syrup it won't work. 100g per 3 table spoon of golden syrup seems to work. If you heat it too much it'll taste burnt too. So this is a fine line. The syrup bit should be easy as you can do it while it is cold so no rush. The heating part take your time, low heat. Just watch it, it goes brown then let it on the heat for 1 more minute or so to make sure, it won't burn immediately.

and take a read here about the science.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2010/sep/24/sugar-honeycomb-cinder-toffee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom