"Asda Magic"

Soldato
So I decided to apply for the only available job at Asda in Greater Manchester, and about 2 hours later I got an email back saying I was invited to the "Asda Magic" assessment center, which is at the store I will be working at if I happen to get the job.

two questions:

1: Does anyone know exactly what goes on when at this assessment?
2: I applied for a job as "grocery colleague" that was £6.28 per hour for 16 hours a week, but does anyone know if I'd be able to get more hours if I happen to get the job? Or change to full time? On the schedule for the assessment it said "shop floor assistant", so apparently not just "grocery colleague".

Thanks.

Soldato
2: I applied for a job as "grocery colleague" that was £6.28 per hour for 16 hours a week, but does anyone know if I'd be able to get more hours if I happen to get the job? Or change to full time?

I work in retail. I'm contracted 16 hours per week, I actually work over 50 hours per week (paid). That's how retail works.

Soldato
OP
I work in retail. I'm contracted 16 hours per week, I actually work over 50 hours per week (paid). That's how retail works.

That's good news for me then, well sort of.

I'm going to bet it's one of those wonderful group interviews!

What is these interviews you speak of?

I hope I get offered the job, if not I might as well go and buy a dummy and go back to play school.

Soldato
It'll be a group interview, you'll be asked to do things like speak to the person next to you to get answers about questions about them, and introduce them to the rest of the group. Then you'll be given a few straws and balloons and be asked to make something, it's silly little team building things really. Just shows how well you work with others etc. At this stage you fill in some forms to say what hours you can and can't work, and what positions you'd be interested in.

If you get called back you'll be arranged to have an individiual interview, this is the usual with all the normal questions asked like 'what can you offer the company' etc.

It's a reasonably relaxed process, I was bricking it at first, being my 2nd ever interview, plus I'm not very good at meeting people anyway.

I got the job, but a week later, after all the training, I got offered a job somewhere else so I resigned :p

Last edited:
Associate
My girlfriend just got employed by asda and did this the other week. She said it comprised of discussion in a group, you had to talk to the person on your left about yourself and they would then talk to the group about you. They show you around the store and various jobs available.

Soldato
OP
My girlfriend just got employed by asda and did this the other week. She said it comprised of discussion in a group, you had to talk to the person on your left about yourself and they would then talk to the group about you. They show you around the store and various jobs available.

So basically they may talk about anything from their hobbies, experience, what sort of person they are, random stuff etc... then you just got to remember it and regurgitate it?

Associate
Yes, exactly. I will post more information tomorrow(when i see her i will ask her), she also was contacted the day after to come in for a 1 to 1 interview, thats when she got the job.

Soldato
Which Asda is it? I work at Eastlands in Manchester on the checkouts. I am contracted to work 16 hours a week but there is always overtime going. I only work part time whilst at university but a friend of mine who is also contracted to work 16 hours usually always works at least double that.

The interview was a group session which involved having to write and sing a song :|. They then called me back for a 1 to 1 interview the next day too.

Permabanned
I got to build a tower out of straws in my interview many years ago, it was awesome fun ... Unlike the actual job.

Soldato
It's Higher Broughton. I really hope I don't have to write and sing a song though O_o, I can't sing, and it's just humiliating O_O

The Higher Broughton store is tiny, I live about 5 minutes from it. It used to be a Netto until Asda bought them out. Good luck, I imagine working there would be the complete opposite end of the spectrum to Eastlands which is the biggest store they have.

Back
Top Bottom