VW POLO Wiper not working quick Q

Soldato
Hi, live up north, very snowy, got in my car, wiper on, pushed put not powerful enough, took snow off, put wiper on, nothing moves.

So whats the conclusion? I broke the wiper motor or is it some safety thing where it stop's itself and is there a way to reset it?

Soldato
OP
Ah brilliant, so how do I check the fuse? Lol i'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to cars but i'm good at following orders and very logical so any help appreciated.

Caporegime
dont do anything, the car has to be moving for the wiper to work, start the car drive for 10 seconds turn the wipers on

has happened before on my golf, the car needs to be moving for the wipers to move

Caporegime
Or any VAG car i've had on hire etc.

You should never clear snow with your wipers, you run the risk of blowing a fuse, burning out the motor or braking the linkage, all for the sake of not getting your hands a little cold.

Soldato
On my MK3 Polo (previous car) and MK4 Golf (currrent) the wipers work fine when stationary. However on my sisters MK5 Golf the intermittent speed varies according to the car speed.

On my Polo (and I think on the MK4 - Wiki has pictures of the various versions) the fuse box is under the steering wheel. A screwdriver is needed for the two screws near the top corners of the panel. A description of the fuses is on the indisde of the panel.

Soldato
OP
It's this one, don't know what MK it is, tryed car moving - i've actually driven it in the snow bit of a risk lol

077e_4.JPG

BTW I didn't know it would damage the car I just assume it would push the snow out the way lol, lesson learnt.

Soldato
the fuse box is down to the right of the steering wheel. Its where the little "shelf" type thing is, just remove the panel and you can get in quite easily.

Aero

Associate
A word of warning, we've got a Polo of the same type and have had problem with the rear wiper.
I wouldn't stop going so we took the fuse out until it could be fixed. Changed the wiper motor, (got a second hand one) and no change. Thought the replacement was broken too so got another sent out. Similar problems with that one, although it did something like not work at all and start the front wipers going nuts (not totaly sure).

In the end we had to get a brand new one, it all now works. It seems the circuitry on the motors is quite sensitive and easily fried.

The electrics on the whole have been quite problematic, nothing major (apart from a smoking indicator stalk) but not what you'd hope for from a German car.

Man of Honour
dont do anything, the car has to be moving for the wiper to work, start the car drive for 10 seconds turn the wipers on

has happened before on my golf, the car needs to be moving for the wipers to move

Are you for real? Seriously?

I didnt know you had a Golf. Is it an 08 plate?

Soldato
this is a very common problem on the 6N and 6N2, I have had both these models and the 6N one completely stopped working and the 6N2 was acting weird by the time I sold it.

It's a pain in the ass to fix, most people end up just removing the wiper and getting a wiper blank (you get the from gti cult society)

Back
Top Bottom