• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU suddenly running hot

Associate
My CPU temperature (according to ASUS PC Probe) has suddenly jumped from normally running around 55 degrees C up to 70 degrees C. This has set off an over temperature alert. I've tried tried re-applying heatsink paste on the CPU but that hasn't helped. Any thing else I can try? The rest of the system is running cool and the motherboard temp is reported as 39 degrees C. My CPU is an Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.4GHz.

Associate
OP
what does core temp say?

PC probe only appears to give me two temperatures - currently:
CPU - 73 degrees C
MB - 39 degrees C

I have three fans in my case and they are all working ok. The CPU fan is also working ok.

I realised the weather would have made a different but still thought 73 degrees seemed a bit on the high side. Does anyone else have a CPU running that hot?

Associate
My idles jumped from 29 to 36 over the course of the last few weeks or so. Given that hotter initial temps will lead to higher losses as the differences between air temperature and the heatsink change, it gets harder to transfer heat and equalize temps, its entirely plausible that your 'sudden change' is indeed the consequence of summer.

Get speedfan and keep the fans running at a constant speed in the higher percentiles, as high as your ears comfortably allow. Mine starts whining beyond 80% so that's where I keep it at to cope. Also, seeing as though you're not overclocking the CPU it might be a wise move to experiment with undervolting it slightly, it would help a great deal. Most Q6600s clock well even on stock volts so you can probably get away with giving it less juice, they're not known for running cool to start with tbh. Besides, manufacturers give CPUs more volts then they need as a rule to ensure rock-solid stability. Play around with it....

- Ordokai

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm idling at 40*C recently. Although

idontcarep.jpg

Back
Top Bottom