Poll: Singapore Grand Prix 2016, Marina Bay - Race 15/21

Rate the 2016 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
...but it was a waste of time because Mercedes put that one to bed by turning up the engine.

From where we were sitting it was less turning up the engine and more letting him use the brakes. The Mercedes and Williams brakes were glowing far more than other teams all weekend, and Rosberg's hardly lit up at all during the second half of the race - until the final few laps.

Soldato
As racing goes it was good for a proper street circuit. It goes on too long and that stretches the action a bit too much (Monaco is the only race of a non-standard length at 160 miles and this probably should be the same), but I thought what action there was was good. The Verstappen/Kyvat fight was excellent, we had some great overtaking (not all DRS like most circuits) some excellent recovery drives and we had a genuine race for the lead. It had more than most races this year that I can recall... in fact, I'm struggling to think of a better race.

I gave it a 7, as despite its strong points it wasn't a great race, but in my opinion that was only due to the length of the race, and I'm not going to criticise getting an extra 20-30 minutes of racing to watch. Cram that lot into a standard length race and it would have been awesome (obviously strategy doesn't work like that but still).

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
5/10 for me, watched it very very tired and sort of hungover, and I can never concentrate very well on F1 races like that, but yeah, not the greatest race, some decent parts - I didn't really notice Vettel coming through... was it me or was he not given much airtime?

Kvyat holding of Ves was good, Ric charging at the end and Ros responding with very good driving, but overall a the race was a bit average.

Soldato
5/10 Most of the 'excitement' never really came to anything tbh.

That's a bit unfair - concentrating on the ends and not the means. Ricciardo's charge on the supersofts was great, real tension & had me on the edge of my seat. Sure, it wasn't enough in the end, but it only became obvious when he didn't clear the traffic fast enough.

I gave the race a 7 overall, just a pity the middle section was devoid of action.

I just think it's a crying shame that FOM didn't give any airtime to the racing going on below about 10th, where there was some genuine racing going on. I don't remember seeing Vettel overtake anyone yet he finished 5th...

Caporegime
A large number of Vettel's 'overtakes' were from being on a different tire strategy. He passed the manors with no competition in a dramatically faster car, he didn't fight many cars really.

Most of the action below the top 5(which had very little itself) was passes with one car on old tires vs another on new tires. IE a non competitive match up. One of the only more genuine fights was Kvyat vs Verstappen.

Back
Top Bottom