silly season - F1 2017 driver line up

Soldato
Thing is, Hulk has been boldly going nowhere the last few years, despite being raved about at times. Given the hype of what Renault bring next season, worth the gamble IMO.

Exactly, a lot of people thought Lewis was mental when he jumped from McLaren to go to Merc but that turned out pretty well too. I've always liked Hulkenburg, hopefully this will be a good switch to a good car.

Soldato
OP
Hulkenberg/Bottas would be a hell of a pairing for Renault I reckon.

Bottas is a safe solid choice but I find him disappointing. when Williams was pretty competitive the last couple of years he hasn't capitalized. I think Massa has been able to keep within touching distance of Bottas

That said Perez has dominated Hulk this year. But Perez has shown significant improvement this year.

since they are both getting on in terms of F1 age. I would rather see a pairing like Hulk/Ocon or Bottas/Ocon, an experienced driver and an exciting new prospect. I tend to rate Hulk more than Bottas but that is purely subjective since they are in different cars and an objective comparison is difficult

Objectively all I can say is that both Hulk and Bottas have both underperformed this year. There may be many legit reasons for that, but they aren't getting any younger.

in fact I rate JEV over Bottas or Hulk. I think RBR were wrong to promote Kyvviat instead of JEV. JEV was on par with Ricciardo at Toro Rosso even though JEV had more failures. Ricciardio had the upper hand in quali, but JEV was better during races

also worth a mention, is that Kmag has held his head above water and Palmer has shown promise in the last couple of races. need to remember that the car was very poor this year and hasn't given either a chance to really prove anything. I think they both deserve a chance to keep their seat for next year. They are both young and will get better

Since there is no way to get Alonso, Sainz and/or Perez, I would favour youth and promise over experience, especially since Renault themselves have said that they don't expect to fight for a title before 3 to 5 years. the fact that young drivers cost less also allows Renault to have more money to spend on poaching technical staff from other teams, and Enstone is in dire need of new blood since they have lost a lot of talented tech guys in the last few years

I don't think this will happen but it's what I feel

my 2 cents

Last edited:
Associate
Fantastic move for the Hulk and if they also get Bottas, that will be a very strong driver line up. This is a strong indication that Renault are not messing about which was to be expected. It will be interesting to see who Renault have there eyes on in relation to there technical/design side.

Soldato
Bottas is a safe solid choice but I find him disappointing. when Williams was pretty competitive the last couple of years he hasn't capitalized. I think Massa has been able to keep within touching distance of Bottas

That said Perez has dominated Hulk this year. But Perez has shown significant improvement this year.

since they are both getting on in terms of F1 age. I would rather see a pairing like Hulk/Ocon or Bottas/Ocon, an experienced driver and an exciting new prospect. I tend to rate Hulk more than Bottas but that is purely subjective since they are in different cars and an objective comparison is difficult

Objectively all I can say is that both Hulk and Bottas have both underperformed this year. There may be many legit reasons for that, but they aren't getting any younger.

in fact I rate JEV over Bottas or Hulk. I think RBR were wrong to promote Kyvviat instead of JEV. JEV was on par with Ricciardo at Toro Rosso even though JEV had more failures. Ricciardio had the upper hand in quali, but JEV was better during races

also worth a mention, is that Kmag has held his head above water and Palmer has shown promise in the last couple of races. need to remember that the car was very poor this year and hasn't given either a chance to really prove anything. I think they both deserve a chance to keep their seat for next year. They are both young and will get better

Since there is no way to get Alonso, Sainz and/or Perez, I would favour youth and promise over experience, especially since Renault themselves have said that they don't expect to fight for a title before 3 to 5 years. the fact that young drivers cost less also allows Renault to have more money to spend on poaching technical staff from other teams, and Enstone is in dire need of new blood since they have lost a lot of talented tech guys in the last few years

I don't think this will happen but it's what I feel

my 2 cents

JEV was also immediately quick in Formula E too without the crashes and clowning around that the other "ex-F1" getting involved with. No talk of him returning as a main driver though.

Associate
Apparently Stroll is very quick indeed but what I have also heard is that he is not frightened to speak his mind.......Could we have another Max in this signing? Oh for the love of F1 please let it be another Max!!!!

Soldato
Apparently Stroll is very quick indeed but what I have also heard is that he is not frightened to speak his mind.......Could we have another Max in this signing? Oh for the love of F1 please let it be another Max!!!!

Generally drivers that are any good usually have the accompanying attitude to match,

Man of Honour
Pretty much another Diniz inbound.

how is it remotely the same, stroll doesn't just have money he's won several series. Unlike Diniz who didn't come close to winning any series.
I mean calling him just in the seat to finances, what you say about max verstrappen which has done far less than stroll

2ihwe4x.jpg

vilamg.jpg

looks like a good move by Williams to me, good driver with money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom