Goodwood Revival

Man of Honour
Just bought my weekend tickets, entry, stands and full hospitality on the Saturday and can't wait. Last time I went was 2011 and it was a superb weekend, now need to sort out a place for a motorhome and a motorhome and we are all set!

Anyone else going this year?

Man of Honour
Need to get tickets booked this week... I don't bother with grandstands though, I can head for the GRRC enclosures if I need some cover!

Hopefully yesterday's Members Meeting incidents don't dampen things in the future.

Soldato
Indeed. Was at the Members' Meeting yesterday, and saw the wreckage after the crash in the Bruce McLaren Trophy. By all accounts I'm aware of, the driver was airlifted to hospital, but we were totally clueless trackside - no confirmation or information from the officials or commentary team. Really put a dampener on the rest of the event, and really shows that the cars they're racing, and the track safety measures, aren't anything like modern standards.

I really liked the atmosphere of the event (before that point) and the unique mix of machinery, but I'm not sure I'll go back.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Motorsport is dangerous, you can always go off and in older cars it will hurt more, at Goodwood even worse. I have said for a while there will one day be a big one there (as I have for the Festival of Speed) and I just hope I am not there to see it or be caught up in it. But still going to enjoy it as when I was going racing in the 70's it was not different.

Man of Honour
OP
Need to get tickets booked this week... I don't bother with grandstands though, I can head for the GRRC enclosures if I need some cover!

Hopefully yesterday's Members Meeting incidents don't dampen things in the future.

Ive paid for hospitality on Saturday, free roaming stand passes for both Friday and Sunday but I agree, you really don't need stand access, frankly it's better to be close, but if the weather is crap it gives you somewhere to watch in the dry.

Soldato
Motorsport is dangerous, you can always go off and in older cars it will hurt more, at Goodwood even worse. I have said for a while there will one day be a big one there (as I have for the Festival of Speed) and I just hope I am not there to see it or be caught up in it. But still going to enjoy it as when I was going racing in the 70's it was not different.

I understand that, but the 1st accident of the day (the Lotus going airbourne and rolling end over end) could well have been that "big one" you refer to - the wheel came off and went into the disabled viewing platform for starters, not to mention that it was sheer luck that the car went into the access road, rather than into a barrier next to spectators - where it would have gone into the crowd.

I still enjoyed the racing - Goodwood has the best turn out of the most varied classic racers, and the racing is very good, as is the atmosphere. Part of that is of course the classic feel of the event, and this also includes the lack of safety measures, but I was expecting the cars to have been strengthened considerably since their original days in racing. Guess it was just a shock to me that roll hoop aside, they're just as dangerous as in period, where of course Goodwood was essentially abandoned for being too dangerous.

Man of Honour
OP
It was very lucky. If that accident had happened at the Revival it would have been a miracle if people were not killed as that tunnel is usually packed for all 3 days. They will need to do something prior to the Revival I suspect. The other thing that makes Goodwood just the best spectator event, but the least safe, is the closeness to the track you can get and the total lack of fences anywhere around the circuit. I am amazed they can get away with it, I fear they won't for much longer sadly which is why I am keen to get there again before it changes.

Soldato
Apparently the driver of the Lola that crashed in the afternoon was able to get out from the car by themselves (though missing a boot according to some accounts), before being airlifted to hospital. His son posted on Pistonheads:

Dear fans,

I'd like to update you about the driver from the Lola T70 in car number #2 which crashed yesterday during the Bruce McLaren Trophy at the 74th MM at Goodwood. He is my dad and in consultation with other family members we decided to give you some information. He is a bit shaken and bruised, but conscious. Apart from the abrasions and cuts he has broken a rib and two vertebrae. The good thing is that there isn't any damage to the spinal cord. Let's hope he'll recover soon!

If there is anyone who has some more information, video's or other imagery please contact me at [email protected]
This would be really valuable for us.

Thank you so much for your support and information.

Kind regards,

Sam van der Werff

Frankly I'm amazed, but incredibly relieved, I really thought the worst had happened.

Source: Pistonheads

Man of Honour
OP
It's getting close :D

Going full mental this year. Camping with electric, full luxury motorhome booked, full hospitality on the Saturday, entrance and stands for Friday and Sunday. It's going to be epic, just need the weather to be good. Collect our motorhome on Thursday and head down, come home Monday, park up drink and be merry, wife even bought a load of 50's outfits, my wardrobe is already full of them due to old age :D

Man of Honour
OP
Off tomorrow. We collect the mobile home at 2pm and should be parked up by 4:30ish and opening the first beer. I have some attire, wife has lots more but there will be stuff for sale down there so will kit up on Friday. Got to wear a tie on Saturday for the Officers Club and I have paddock access too, which is very hard to come by at this event, different to the Festival of Speed on that count. Some mates have arrived to day and are setting up for the weekend, but I must admit, I am excited and weather, bar a shower on Saturday morning seems set to be OK.

Back
Top Bottom