Poll: Malaysian Grand Prix 2016, Kuala Lumpur - Race 16/21

Rate the 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
sB7sQE5.png

Kuala Lumpur

In the mid 1990s, Malaysia was undergoing a huge change. Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Malaysia's Prime Minister was determined that by 2020, the country would be a fully industrialised nation. The best way to do this, it was thought, was through the auto trade.

The nation's number one oil company, Petronas, began investing heavily in Formula One with Sauber, and Malaysia's national car company, Proton, bought Lotus Engineering.

The most extravagant part of the plan however was the building of a multimedia 'supercorridor', linking Kuala Lumpur's new international airport with the capital city itself.

Mahathir ordered that a Grand Prix track be constructed too, and not just any track. He wanted to create a track that would be the envy of the world in terms of its facilities and technology. What he got was the Sepang International Circuit, and on its 1999 debut it did not disappoint.

Designed by Hermann Tilke, Sepang is one of the most technical circuits in Formula One. The combination of long high-speed straights, and tight twisting complexes make the track very complicated, but also perfect for overtaking as the track itself is very wide.

The drivers love it and, along with Malaysia's distinct atmosphere, it makes for an experience unique in Formula One.

TV Times

Sky:
BjQqUwh.png

C4:
9f11AVz.png

Track Diagram & Information

O2grVbN.png

Weather Forecast

KbY3pRV.png

2015 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/3/Onboard_pole_position_lap_-_Malaysia.html

2015 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/4/Race_edit_-_Malaysia_15.html

Tyre Set Selections Per Driver - Malaysia

hKyS8XP.jpg

Malaysia Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/9/malaysia-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings

islBsk0.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

ma0NRlu.png

Practice 1

rBnp4dG.png

Practice 2

TwHZdRx.png

Practice 3

GHHVebi.png

Qualifying

KvZr414.png

Race

FNG9djJ.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently the track has had multiple changes to it, notably extra camber in most corners but negative camber (or an "error generator" in F1 speak) in the final corner.

It's a decent track, which speaks volumes for how poor the rest of the calendar is now, but I hope it doesn't rain. There's not an awful lot of fun in watching 22 stationary cars as the area gets darker and darker - it doesn't often rain lightly in Malaysia.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently the track has had multiple changes to it, notably extra camber in most corners but negative camber (or an "error generator" in F1 speak) in the final corner.

It's a decent track, which speaks volumes for how poor the rest of the calendar is now, but I hope it doesn't rain. There's not an awful lot of fun in watching 22 stationary cars as the area gets darker and darker - it doesn't often rain lightly in Malaysia.

They shifted the race to avoid the monsoons, I thought.

Soldato
Grr, my GF recently sent me a picture of her Malaysia GP tickets. I got her into F1 and now that she has moved to Kuala Lumpar, she's decided to go to a race to... "Get closer to Danny Ric". She's obsessed with him.

Soldato
The only Tilke track that isn't totally bland (only other decent bits are the first half of Istanbul and the COTA first corner). Might give it a watch as they usually have a good downpour here. Although going by the recent events, that will likely bring out a safety car. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom