Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2016, Suzuka - Race 17/21

Rate the 2016 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
JUyVc5H.png

Suzuka

One of the greatest tracks used in Formula One racing today, Japan's Suzuka circuit is a massive test of car and driver ability.

Built by Honda as a test facility in 1962, the track was designed by Dutchman John Hugenholz, the Hermann Tilke of his day. A huge theme park was also constructed at the track, including the famous big wheel which dominates the Suzuka skyline.

In 1987, having hosted various sportscar and F2 races, and having lost out initially to Fuji in the race to host the Japanese Grand Prix, Honda's influence finally prevailed and the Grand Prix had a new Japanese home. And - 2007/8 aside - at Suzuka the race has stayed ever since, providing the scene for many nail-biting end-of-season deciders, including the now infamous collisions involving Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna.

Such moments only added to Suzuka's appeal with fans, with the Grand Prix now attracting some of the most passionate and knowledgeable crowds in F1 racing.

The track has also become a favourite with drivers, featuring some of the F1 calendar's most challenging corners. Among the most popular are the high-speed 130R and the famous Spoon Curve. On top of this the circuit's figure-of-eight layout makes it unique in F1 racing.

TV Times

Sky:
sjrVmFD.png

C4:
YGUZ4Ue.png

Track Diagram & Information

bxkIqNp.png

Weather Forecast

YCmhvxz.png

2015 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/9/Onboard_pole_position_lap_-_Japan.html

2015 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/10/Race_edit__Japan_'15.html

Tyre Set Selections Per Driver - Japan

1474973115618.jpg

Japan Preview Quotes

[to be added]

WDC Standings

PYMIZWs.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

QH1fq2v.png

Practice 1

AZ4Sqjd.png

Practice 2

5PsTXoq.png

Practice 3

G4QibeZ.png

Qualifying
A6R7g5j.png

Race

e0SYn25.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely love this circuit, but SO deserves a grid which is competitve right the way through (or at least two or three teams / 6 cars to make it a race)

Soldato
Thanks Shimmy!

B2B Race Weekends \0/

Not going to get to watch it though, as I'm on a 52km off-road bike ride.

Fingers crossed Hamilton gets a bit of luck this weekend.

Associate
The circuit is amazing and is a very important chapter in the history of Formula one. However the one thing that saddens me is 130R is now a strip of tarmac that can be taken flat out. That bend used to sort out the men from the boys. I remember Alonso passing Michael at 130R. Breath taking pass.

Soldato
The circuit is amazing and is a very important chapter in the history of Formula one. However the one thing that saddens me is 130R is now a strip of tarmac that can be taken flat out. That bend used to sort out the men from the boys. I remember Alonso passing Michael at 130R. Breath taking pass.

Two things. One, that pass was made on the reprofiled 130R (the same revision as now).

And two it wasn't all that impressive. All Alonso did take the normal line, knowing Schumacher would have had to back off being on the inside.

It's hailed as one of the great F1 overtakes by some, but in reality it was just both drivers having common sense.

Webber's move on Alonso at Eau Rouge was much more ballsy as either driver could have kept their foot in it.

Man of Honour
OP
Apparently footage from the Driver's briefing will be made going forward from this weekend. Pretty cool. Seems like Liberty media are trying to make an impact already.

Not going to get to watch it though, as I'm on a 52km off-road bike ride.

Nice, wish I still had off-road trails on my doorstep. Where are you going?

Soldato
Apparently footage from the Driver's briefing will be made going forward from this weekend. Pretty cool. Seems like Liberty media are trying to make an impact already.

I'm not in favour of that. No drivers will speak out anymore. They will tow the line and so on :(

Associate
I would like to see one of the drivers in these televised driver briefings ask, when it comes to extreme close racing and we are fighting for position, can we pass without getting a penalty. It would be absolutely devastating if Lewis or Nico lost the championship dew to a passing manoeuvre that us the fans are screaming out for but the Stewart's say too forceful and issue a penalty.

smr

smr

Soldato
Two things. One, that pass was made on the reprofiled 130R (the same revision as now).

And two it wasn't all that impressive. All Alonso did take the normal line, knowing Schumacher would have had to back off being on the inside.

It's hailed as one of the great F1 overtakes by some, but in reality it was just both drivers having common sense.

Webber's move on Alonso at Eau Rouge was much more ballsy as either driver could have kept their foot in it.

Webber was ballsy, way more than Vettel imo.

Soldato

It's across Dartmoor so not entirely on my doorstep! I do have the South Downs not too far away though. I'm originally from Cornwall and so have lots of friends down that way*- one of them convinced us all to do the ride for a local charity. Should be good. :)

Soldato

Excellent. Hopefully it's extensive or full coverage too so that when there's a controversial incident we can either point at the guidance given in the preceding drivers briefing or have it explained at the following one.

Associate
I'd argue that hamiltons overtake on rosberg in 2014 was almost equally as impressive. Going round the outside and using the dryer line without knowing whether rosberg would keep it together being in the wet line.

Unfortunately it's largely forgotten by being shadowed by bianchi. :(

Back
Top Bottom