• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black ops 2 + 7950 + PC Freeze!

Associate
Managed to find a thread on WOW forum as they are having the same problems and one person is a tester for amd and mentions that there is a problem with x58 and x79 chipsets combined with high end amd 7000 series cards and that amd are aware of the problem. They have managed to replicate it and are working on a fix. So sounds driver related. WOW guys fixed for now by going dx9 but blops 2 only supports dx11.

Associate
It's driving me crazy! I can't play either games with enjoyment as I'm awaiting them to crash any minute. Is it it a driver issue though? Somebody with an Nvidia card has this issue, as posted above.

Soldato
I have a i7 920@4ghz and 7970, i have had no crashes with black ops 2 but with a 120hz monitor i am getting some strange gpu usage spikes, at 90% usage the game is flying along at 120 fps but every no and my gpu drops to 60%, not sure if this is bottlenecking or just poorly optimised game

Associate
From what i have read it is down to drivers, amd do not have drivers supporting these new games yet, but invidia do they brought out a new beta to stop the crashing in blops with their 6 series cards. It is dx11 and 64bit os related. Pity they didn't support xp and dx9 at least we could then switch to dx9 and play until they bring out a fix. I'm lucky if i can play one multiplayer game with a complete lockup. May try latest beta's but don't hold much hope. All was fine pre patches had full nights gaming on 12.8 drivers no lockups or slowdowns.

Soldato
I have a i7 920@4ghz and 7970, i have had no crashes with black ops 2 but with a 120hz monitor i am getting some strange gpu usage spikes, at 90% usage the game is flying along at 120 fps but every no and my gpu drops to 60%, not sure if this is bottlenecking or just poorly optimised game

I would its NOT a bottleneck by hardware. Im on the same CPU as you OCed to 3,8 and a Sapphire 7950 and do not have those issues. Im sitting on a 120 hz monitor myself with framerate unlocked (max 200 in public matches) and no vSync and my fps is anywhere from 90 to 160ish depending on what is happening and what map.

Associate
Ok installed latest beta v8 played one game then locked up. Thought i'd then try windowed mode and not a single lockup for the rest of the night. Try it might work for others.

Associate
Ok installed latest beta v8 played one game then locked up. Thought i'd then try windowed mode and not a single lockup for the rest of the night. Try it might work for others.

Are you using Windows 7 or 8?

When it locks up try pulling out the monitor cable from the back of your graphics card and then plugging it back in, is the picture the same as it was before you unplugged the monitor? My screen is exactly the same, game is still on screen, frozen.

Try pulling out your Usb mouse/keyboard and plugging them back in, does power restore or are both powerless? Both my mouse and keyboard are dead after plugging back in.

Also does your sound stop or is it looping or buzzing? My sound stops alltogether when it freezes. In the past when this has happened with other equipment, sound would loop.

Have you noticed we both have exactly the same motherboard? I tried playing Assassin's Creed 3 again this morning, and it locked up after 40 minutes of play. Do you have this game?

Last edited:
Associate
Os is win 7 64bit home pre. Sorry do not have assassins creed. I haven't tried unplugging anything. Screen just locks up as if taking a screenshot, sound buzzed when used 12.8 drivers now sound stops with beta's. I just turn off machine and turn back on.

Soldato
I still get lock ups as well on beta8, just to update :(.

To confirm:

When I reboot (after holding power button), I have to replug my mouse as it just doesn't return until I do so, very weird.

For reference my specs are:

P6X58D-E, i7 950 @ 4.2ghz,
Geil Black Dragon 16gb,
2x 7970's,
Asus Xonar Xense soundcard.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow!

And I thought it was my system causing the issue! Well it is sorta, x58 chipset.

Thank god for that!

Cheers for the update.

Associate
np! it seems that it was all DX11 games! which at this point in pc games is a massive issue!

least we can play now! and not fear any crashes!

Back
Top Bottom