Hardline Loop but... a few querries

Associate
My PSU blew up recently and while I stripped my system back to remove it I was somewhat upset by my efforts in cable braiding that are now going in the bin.

To cheer myself up I thought I'd redo the whole watercooling loop but have a few questions.

Firstly, Is it possible to do a hard line loop with a bay res? Access to the fill port at the moment requires me to slide it forward out of the bay by two inches top up, then slide back in.

I am assuming I'll have to drop the bay res to the bottom of the front panel (as is in my original build pics in sig) which I found left issues with air at the top of the system.

Secondly, If bay res is going to be a PITA I'll need to get a Tube res that attaches to my D5 pump. I don't really know how easy these are to attach to eachother or if you have to buy a special mount.

Thirdly I know that I'll need to buy new fittings and so on but is there a pass on for cost of postage tube bending kit? I don't really fancy having to buy a whole kit that I'll only use once so was wondering if anyone is sharing these? (Maybe a bit cheeky of myself)

Lastly, Is it really worth it for the looks? I'm happy to spend a day putting it all together but will I need anything more than a heat gun and gloves?

Soldato
1. Drop the res with at least one bay above it should give you access to fill it OR drill the top of the case and add a fill port with some hardline directly down in to the res. Both work, the bays above will just come out so 1 bay is enough but fill port if you feel more adventurous. Probably possible to take some PETG and create a funky bend on a 90 degree rotator and do it without drilling also...

2. Dont get the kit, but the insert and thats all you need. If you want something to cut it, recommend a mini pipe cutter from B&Q (£3) which will cut copper up to 22mm and works amazing on PETG. Bending insert, get the monsoon ones - if you get 16mm OD PETG (12mm ID) its labelled as 13mm not 12. Cost £3-4. The bending guides are not really required, a good tight fitting insert (lube with olive oil) creates great bends and a 90 degree by eye is pretty easy.

3. Heat gun yes, gloves no. It only gets hot over the bend and you MUST hold it quite far above and not overheat it - can't recommend the olive oil enough as you can physically see it change and move when its about ready to bend. Just wash out with fairy after and rinse with distilled. Plus the insert doesnt get stuck obvs.

Associate
OP
One more question guys.

I currently have Monsoon fittings for my flexi hose and I like the quality of them however for the hardline set up I prefer the look of the all black 16mm EK-HDC fittings so will likely go for these.

My question really is if I go for the 16/12 Monsoon PETG tubing (purely for the reason it comes in longer lengths) will I suffer any incompatibility with the EK fittings?

Soldato
One more question guys.

I currently have Monsoon fittings for my flexi hose and I like the quality of them however for the hardline set up I prefer the look of the all black 16mm EK-HDC fittings so will likely go for these.

My question really is if I go for the 16/12 Monsoon PETG tubing (purely for the reason it comes in longer lengths) will I suffer any incompatibility with the EK fittings?

If the Monsoon is sold as mm you shouldn't have issues, however each will only guarantee the fit to their own fittings/tube. The EK stuff in 500mm sections is normally enough though unless you've got a big full tower case.

The issue with different brands is the manufacturing process can vary slightly but mainly if a company and or retailer has just converted the inches to mm then its incorrect i.e. 5/8" OD sold as 16mm when its actually 15.875. Hopefully someone who owns it can confirm for sure!

Associate
OP
Ah I'm getting scared now.

The main reason for the monsoon 90cm length was one of the lines I had planned to run from my quad res in the base of the TJ07 starts near the front of the case and goes towards the rear and then straight up towards the CPU up and over the GFX card.

I may have to think about another route or change the tubing/fittings.

Anyone have preferences on EK or Monsoon for hardline fittings??

Soldato
Ah I'm getting scared now.

The main reason for the monsoon 90cm length was one of the lines I had planned to run from my quad res in the base of the TJ07 starts near the front of the case and goes towards the rear and then straight up towards the CPU up and over the GFX card.

I may have to think about another route or change the tubing/fittings.

Anyone have preferences on EK or Monsoon for hardline fittings??

You can order it and just see if it fits really well before you use it? I'm using the EK fittings which once you have screwed down you pretty much can't even pull them off.

Associate
OP
I went with EK tubing and EK fittings in the end. Didn't fancy risking it.

Everything should be here by end of the week just in time for Christmas break. I'll put up picks once its done.

Soldato
Use masking tape... just put a single layer around the top end of the tube, not beyond where the fitting comes to though otherwise you won't get it off... measure so you know where to take it up to. This will then stop the fitting scratching up the tubing. You can add a double layer a bit further back and that way it won't slide beyond this point. Neat little trick, works well. :)

Soldato
If you're using coloured fluid you really don't notice it but the masking tape is a really good idea providing you are talking about the screw down compression bit.

Soldato
Does anyone have a link to the olive oil trick? I am struggling to find anything relevant on YouTube.

It's not a trick just rub some on the insert before you insert it... removes easy and then rinse with warm water and fairy liquid before rinsing with distilled.

Associate
It's not a trick just rub some on the insert before you insert it... removes easy and then rinse with warm water and fairy liquid before rinsing with distilled.

Can you get away with just washing the pipe or do you need to remove the fittings and wash them too?

Soldato
Can you get away with just washing the pipe or do you need to remove the fittings and wash them too?

As mentioned, fittings don't go on until you've bent the tube and you're ready to install it. You can wash the tube out with a bit of washing liquid and water to get rid of all the olive oil trace, and then a final rinse with distilled/de-ionised. That's what I've always done anyway and it works great. The olive oil works brilliantly on the insert, makes things so much easier.

Associate
You don't bend it with the fitting on?? The insert is for bending before you fit...

As mentioned, fittings don't go on until you've bent the tube and you're ready to install it. You can wash the tube out with a bit of washing liquid and water to get rid of all the olive oil trace, and then a final rinse with distilled/de-ionised. That's what I've always done anyway and it works great. The olive oil works brilliantly on the insert, makes things so much easier.

Sorry guys not thinking straight atm, I've got a sickness bug :(

I was thinking about using some olive oil on the end of the tube when you insert it in the fittings. Can it be sunflower oil or has it got to be olive? Cheers.

Soldato
Sorry guys not thinking straight atm, I've got a sickness bug :(

I was thinking about using some olive oil on the end of the tube when you insert it in the fittings. Can it be sunflower oil or has it got to be olive? Cheers.

Don't do that you'll get it in the loop... get a pipe reamer on Amazon for about £4 and use that to create the angled edge. Sand smooth if you want, use distilled water to lubricate if you need but shouldn't have a problem pushing it in with the finished edge.

Back
Top Bottom