EK's new upcoming Modular Liquid Cooling

Soldato
Sure someone who works at OCUK can give a better view on this than me but having recently switched from a 290 where watercooling is very beneficial to a 1070. I can't see any need for watercooling it at all.

I think it would be worth on average about an extra 12-24Mhz on my core clock whilst gaming as temps would be lower.

So I would think watercooling would be a hard sell going forward.

This seems like it will be a trend now with GPU's and as for CPU's Intel are just using rubbish TIM so you can cool the Heatsink with water but temps are still high as the heat isn't being transferred efficiently from the core so again water cooling seems unnecessary.

Associate
Sure someone who works at OCUK can give a better view on this than me but having recently switched from a 290 where watercooling is very beneficial to a 1070. I can't see any need for watercooling it at all.

I think it would be worth on average about an extra 12-24Mhz on my core clock whilst gaming as temps would be lower.

So I would think watercooling would be a hard sell going forward.

This seems like it will be a trend now with GPU's and as for CPU's Intel are just using rubbish TIM so you can cool the Heatsink with water but temps are still high as the heat isn't being transferred efficiently from the core so again water cooling seems unnecessary.

You're missing the other big use for watercooling which is noise reduction. My PC runs almost silent whatever I throw at it.

Every time I get a new GPU I run it using the stock cooler for a while before fitting the waterblock just to make sure it doesn't have any issues and every time it reinforces to me that going watercooled was the right decision. The noise generated by every GPU air cooler I've used in the last few years even those multi fan ones sold as being quiet is painful and very distracting when I'm gaming.

Associate
'The EK-MLC is going to replace the current EK-XLC family of products, which means that all EK-XLC Predator models of the 1st generation are being discontinued and have reached the end of life status as of today. EK-MLC products are going to be available worldwide at the beginning of ‘Q2 2017 and pricing will be revealed at the later date. To stay informed!'

Yeah because they had that many problems with the first generation better to just bring out a new one than fix it.

Man of Honour
If they are going to be using the same QDC's a modular loop is going to look absolutely awful. I have seen a couple of builds on here where the gpu block has been added to the Predator kit and it just looks so very bad. Part of the idea of watercooling is making it look good and these add-ons with their QDC's completely ruin things. No doubt this will be more expensive than a proper custom loop as well.

Just from the many problems I have read on here I hope they are going to do much better with regards to quality control or there may be many more problems ahead.

Man of Honour
I suppose it is a way of doing a custom loop but it's more expensive and just looks terrible. This build only has a single gpu added to it and you pay all that money for something that looks that awful.

I also only trust something that I put together myself but we are still at the mercy of the manufacturers quality control. I fell foul of this early last year when both my EK blocks started leaking due to failed Orings. It was only the odd drip so I caught it early and it was around the same time as the original Predators started leaking. The EK Supremacy EVO cpu block was less than 6 months old and the Thermosphere gpu block was just over a year old. EK's customer support was abysmal and he tried to blame everything other than the Orings. In the end I finally got the Oring sizes from EK Luc on here as customer support wouldn't give me them. I replaced all the Orings and no more leaks. Since then I have ditched EK because any company with abysmal customer support like I experienced doesn't deserve my custom. I have a Aquacomputer Aquagrafix GTX1070/1080 block on my gpu and have a Alphacool XPX ready to go on my cpu when I get around to building my pc into my desk.

Soldato
I suppose it is a way of doing a custom loop but it's more expensive and just looks terrible. This build only has a single gpu added to it and you pay all that money for something that looks that awful.

I also only trust something that I put together myself but we are still at the mercy of the manufacturers quality control. I fell foul of this early last year when both my EK blocks started leaking due to failed Orings. It was only the odd drip so I caught it early and it was around the same time as the original Predators started leaking. The EK Supremacy EVO cpu block was less than 6 months old and the Thermosphere gpu block was just over a year old. EK's customer support was abysmal and he tried to blame everything other than the Orings. In the end I finally got the Oring sizes from EK Luc on here as customer support wouldn't give me them. I replaced all the Orings and no more leaks. Since then I have ditched EK because any company with abysmal customer support like I experienced doesn't deserve my custom. I have a Aquacomputer Aquagrafix GTX1070/1080 block on my gpu and have a Alphacool XPX ready to go on my cpu when I get around to building my pc into my desk.

I do agree those Predator builds look terrible, especially the CPU+GPU ones. Performance aside, which I know is decent, there is also the issue of reliability, and like yourself I only trust what I build myself... I would never go near an AIO personally. Mass produced units for as cheap as possible... yeah that sounds like a great idea. I'd rather just go air. EK do seem to have taken a nose dive with the Predators QC lately, no idea why, but I've lost count how many reports of leaks I've read. I still trust their fittings and blocks, never had any issues there, but there are certainly other brands like Aquacomputer and Heatkiller that are offering some very interesting products now. Bitspower too of course, but I find it hard to justify their prices much of the time.

Permabanned
Personally not bothered how it looks. PC is under the desk out the way.

Performance, noise, ease of use would attract me to products like this.

I do actually have 80% of the bits to watercool my current PC but never got round to it as it looks a ballache. :p Do have an AIO though.

Soldato
Personally not bothered how it looks. PC is under the desk out the way.

Performance, noise, ease of use would attract me to products like this.

I do actually have 80% of the bits to watercool my current PC but never got round to it as it looks a ballache. :p Do have an AIO though.

Aesthetics aside, the reliability should be of more concern. No AIO is going to offer the same build quality that a properly put together custom loop will... and it's really not as hard as some people think. Mostly common sense and patience. Yes more work, but you won't get better performance. Ease of use is no different really... maintenance is a doddle with a correctly installed drain valve, and using clear coolant you won't need to touch it for well over a year, perhaps quite a bit longer.

Soldato
Aesthetics aside, the reliability should be of more concern. No AIO is going to offer the same build quality that a properly put together custom loop will... and it's really not as hard as some people think. Mostly common sense and patience. Yes more work, but you won't get better performance. Ease of use is no different really... maintenance is a doddle with a correctly installed drain valve, and using clear coolant you won't need to touch it for well over a year, perhaps quite a bit longer.

+1, That is the way to go - imho., but each to their own of course.

Associate
Since then I have ditched EK because any company with abysmal customer support like I experienced doesn't deserve my custom.

That's very interesting, heard a few mentioning similar things.

I went EK on my first custom loop as that's what everyone else seemed to be using at the time.

My next GPU block won't be a EK either.

Associate
Really? No ekwb block for gpu? I need a block for my titan x pascal. Also, do you reckon that with 2 x 480mm rads i could run my pc silently? Reckon A d5 1500l pump will be loud? Which blocks for cpu and gpu, and pump to go with?

Associate
Wonder how will this will compare with EVGA modular watercooling solution shown at CES. There's might be the better option as there's allows modular standalone radiators.

Time will tell I guess won't be surprised if this turns out to be more expensive then a custom loop with less customisation but nice to see people will be able to get standalone water cooled GPU AIO with true water blocks.

Associate
Really? No ekwb block for gpu? I need a block for my titan x pascal. Also, do you reckon that with 2 x 480mm rads i could run my pc silently? Reckon A d5 1500l pump will be loud? Which blocks for cpu and gpu, and pump to go with?

Hi John!

Ek Is maybe the most "High street" famous brand at the moment, I think the problem is people just automatically assume that makes it great.
they seem to be having a few QC issues of recent.

Best bet John I would make your own post on your new build and we can give your advice there, this post might get losty under the original topic conversation :)

D5 Pumps are generally considered quiet so should be good there.
with 2 x 480 MM rad you will be able to run your pc almost passively (On the rad fans at least)

Hope it helps!

Associate
Wonder how will this will compare with EVGA modular watercooling solution shown at CES. There's might be the better option as there's allows modular standalone radiators.

Time will tell I guess won't be surprised if this turns out to be more expensive then a custom loop with less customisation but nice to see people will be able to get standalone water cooled GPU AIO with true water blocks.

This will go the same way as the EK predator did eventually, it will cost similar to a custom components but without the hassle for someone "Unsure".

But that's also a good thing I suppose ?

Associate
Quick disconnects are an absolute killer for flow rates as well.

Hi Jokester,

has anyone actually done a compare of these?

I have four in my system now and it worries me that despite having an above average pump for head pressure etc that I might be killing the benefits.

Don
Can't remember if it was Skinnee or Martin's Liquid Labs that did a comparison a few years back of a range of quick disconnects and the best ones were the Koolance QDC3 and 4 range, but most had a similar restriction to a typical CPU block if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom