To the makers of Doom.

Caporegime
I agree though, you should be providing the full game on a physical disc or no physical edition at all.

Doom takes up nearly 64 gigs on my hdd, does a bluray disc even hold that much? :eek:

ed: apparently there's triple layer 128 gig discs available, i thought it was topped out at 50.

Soldato
55 gig these days is absolutely nothing. If it is to you. Look at your isp or pay for a decent one. Everything is downloading these days. Everyone needs to get with it.

55GB is a massive download if you're expecting it to already be on the disc. Not everyone can get high speed broadband either, so get over yourself.

Caporegime
You do realise that not everyone can get **** fast internet don't you? Despite living in the middle of a large City I myself am stuck on ADSL2+ and only get a maximum of 1MB/s download. FTTC isn't available here and Virgin refuse to install on my property.

Unless I'm missing something 1MB/s is give or take 16 hours to download a 55GB game. That to me hardly seems a disaster.

Then there is that whole other option, download it somewhere else, does anyone not have a external hard drive or large USB stick, or a laptop. Go use free wifi somewhere or ask a friend or family to download it for you

Associate
if you are being sold a physical media then it should be just that..

some of you will remember pc games on multiple media, may it be
xx floppys or xx cds and xx dvds so why not xx blu rays.

50gb may not be a lot to you inner city boys but top dollar for just a code and an
installer on a disc is not everyones cup of tea.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
It's the way it's been progressing for years now. Luckily there is Virgin at my new place, Virgin 200Mb makes easy work of anything like this :p

I feel the pain though, I've been at new builds that have refused to install Virgin :(

Maybe the more content like this, the more ISPs will catch up? :p

London seems to be way behind for the most part, we have clients on business broadband at 20x+ slower than my home connection :( I thought Wales was supposed to be the ones behind!? :p

Soldato
sorry for five years now games have been 50 gb or abouts. you can get 200mb bb.

big hds. its just how it is.

You can get multigigabit connections if you really want as well, it all depends on how flippant you want to be.

Buy game.

Take game home.

Wait 16 hours.

Play game.

wat?

I agree, if I buy a game I want to play it relatively quickly after purchase.

Associate
actually the cost of a dvd/cd mass produced was like 2-5p each?
case and paper might bring it to 10-15p

dunno about bluray, but still pretty cheap

Soldato
not everyone lives in an area that has fibre like me 6mb is all i get.
so those saying people need to get with it, its not by choice we still run adsl so don't be judgemental about it.

luckily though if i get stuck i can hotspot my phone for 75mb+ with unlimited data when im at work

Associate
same with me, I can only get 5mb if im lucky, I live over 3 miles from exchange so my downstream attenuation is around 55db

there is no fibre on my exchange/cabinet, and virgin media not in my area. I live 3 miles from manchester city centre, its insane

Back
Top Bottom