ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS

Associate
ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS Dual-Socket Haswell Xeon V3 Motherboard

hdj4Z66.jpg
Supposedly has very limited over-clocking options for dual xeons - we shall see.

Found a review
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6866/asus-z10pe-d8-ws-dual-cpu-intel-c612-workstation-motherboard-review/index.html
Scores 99% in every area, not sure I'd give it that high but it is the best motherboard I have ever used - in combination with the chips that is. I think the reviewer is a bit excited :D

gU71aGP.jpg

:eek: So I did the dirty deed :D. - wish me luck.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OCUK did say they hope to be getting some, when... They do not know. Most retailers appear to keep getting the stock pushed back a few weeks.
Gibbo did also mention that he is awaiting a board from asus to do some testing too.

My CPU's have been delayed.. >< So nothing to report yet.

Soldato
I cant see it being more than 1-3mhz on the BLK as its not the boards that are limiting the Overclocks but the CPU.

I am still waiting for this board as well for some dev work but Asus have been pretty terrible as of late.

Associate
OP
I hope your having better luck than me. - Couriers have *misplaced* my cpus :(
All is insured, however it takes damn ages to sort. - can't see me up and running for a good few weeks at the earliest.

That ram is supposed to work from info I have gathered. 8gb chips are too small :D - need at least the 16gb dimms surely.

Associate
Apparently this board has an issue with combining PCI-E lanes from both CPUs and you can only use a max of 40 from a single CPU? Guess it's not that much of an issue. I considered the board as dual CPU systems are great for rendering but it's pretty pricey with the new Xeons, especially the WS versions. They consume a fair bit of juice too.

Soldato
There are a lot of boards out there that have a dramatically reduced functionality if both the CPU sockets are not populated. For instance a lot of the Supermicro boards that are available certain PCIe slots do not work unless both of the CPUs are installed. I am not sure if that's the case in this instance but worth a good check in the BIOS.

Colinmcr, as far as I am aware this board requires DDR4 Reg memory hence the RDIMM/LR-DIMM (Not seen any NVDIMM)

Associate
OP
I gave up and went to the couriers depo and spent the day arguing... Took 6 hrs.:mad:
Persistence pays - I got my processors :D. I am however mentally and physically exhausted. - That kinda nonsense is really draining...:(

I had to drill a few extra stand off holes for the motherboard - as 3 of the cases existing mounts were not aligned for ssi-eeb boards. Coolers and ram went on ok. I want'd some Noctua NH-D15 's however it looks like all the big coolers either block a ram slot or touch/obscure the first pci slot.- also the weight of 2 of them maybe a issue.. Cable management will have to wait for another day.

The system is now booting up - after a scary couple of hours of trying to decipher error codes and strange beeps. I flashed to the latest bios - thankfully which you can do with the system turned off. It lives ! :D

The bios is pretty comprehensive, lots of new terms and options which I have no idea what they do nor can find any explanation, not sure I'm brave enough to fiddle with them yet.

Overclocking options - are limited, as we know xeons are multiplier locked.
However there are options for manual/auto, AI tune, memory oc'ing various power states etc.

Post times are not fast - I guess the 100 and 1 things that the board has/does, not unusual for a workstation/server board either.

I'll get some screenshots, and maybe a photo or 2 up tomorrow, hopefully a benchmark or 2.

Associate
So my company has messed up, they were supposed to send me on a course in Germany which has now been moved to Ft Lauderdale USA :D

Wonder if I can pick up Xeon's V3's there much cheaper than buying in the UK ? Any advice...

Soldato
Go to Frys Electronics they always used to be great on price on Intel Stuff. Unfortunately Newegg wouldn't deliver to a temporary address or hotel last time I asked.

Associate
OP
- Me also sorry.

I did call a few times over the last month.. - You guys didn't know when you'd be getting them. - Maybe try to get some good deals on ram, - OCUK currently have the worst selection of all the etailers ;)

I ran a quick bench, with no chip set or any drivers installed, - default everything in bios.

I'll see how I get on improving that. I recon 40k+ is achievable. :eek:

HDwLrIZl.jpg Messy Messy..;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom